Is subzero metal an issue for chicken feet?

CluckingLucky

Chirping
Aug 10, 2023
Na-Au-Say, IL
As winter is approaching, I’m going over different weather conditions and how I’m going to combat them in my new coop and run.

My run is 20x30 currently and composed of metal tubing for the frame with chicken wire wrapped and HWC around it.

There are a couple of places where the meta tubing is accessible to the chickens, and they’ll occasionally sit there. My concern is in the winter that metal is likely going to be well below freezing. Will the skin on their feet freeze to it, similar to our skin?

I picked up some plastic tubing that I can put over the metal tubing, just not sure if it’s necessary…

They probably won't like sitting on the frozen metal and will avoid it, but I agree with you - prevention is a better cure than treating frostbite. I'd cover the accessible horizontal metal tubing with something - plastic, or foam pipe insulation, even just duct tape.

Will the skin on their feet freeze to it, similar to our skin?
Immediately pictured the tongue on a flagpole scenario :gig

Chickens/birds have specialized circulation in their feet that helps protect them,
but better to be more safe than sorry by covering the metal if they might sit on it for any length of time.

Back
Top Bottom