Ground Cover/Forage in shaded run?

HorseyHokie

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 1, 2016
I want to expand my run behind the coop to allow my flock more room to roam. This is my first winter keeping chickens and now that they've just started laying, I'm realizing that they're so bored with their current situation they've started playing with their own eggs. I've had several breaks in the last few days. This is the area I plan to expand into. You can see the compost pit in the back corner. There are plenty of dead leaves to kick about in as well, but the biggest problem is there is virtually no ground cover. I do have plenty of Periwinkle (Vinca Minor) however, which I understand is toxic, so I'm in the process of removing that. I'd like to sow some other kind of ground cover, but I need some advice on what will reliably grow in the piedmont of NC (Zone 8). I have plenty of good clay soil (<--Sarcasm), and pretty much full shade due to all the trees. I was thinking about clover, or a shade-tolerant grass, but I have no experience with either. Obviously this cover needs to be chicken friendly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
PXL_20240116_150303985.MP.jpg

I was thinking about clover, or a shade-tolerant grass, but I have no experience with either. Obviously this cover needs to be chicken friendly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Any cover you plant will be scratched up and demolished by the chickens. They'll love it, while it lasts. Which probably won't be long, honestly.

Instead of something that grows there, think about things you can add periodically for them to scratch through. Leaves, a bale of straw, buckets of weeds. Stuff to climb up and perch on would be great additions too.

How tall is that fence? It might not contain them or keep predators out.

If you used portable electric netting you could put them on a portion of the yard and let them dig it up. Once they tilled it nicely for you, you move the electric netting to the next section and let them tear that up. Then, move it again. Every time you move them you put down some seed- clover, oat, wheat, grass. When you start over the seed should be lawn of some sort. Your clay has minerals in it which the grass and other plants will pull up.

If you used portable electric netting you could put them on a portion of the yard and let them dig it up. Once they tilled it nicely for you, you move the electric netting to the next section and let them tear that up. Then, move it again. Every time you move them you put down some seed- clover, oat, wheat, grass. When you start over the seed should be lawn of some sort. Your clay has minerals in it which the grass and other plants will pull up.
I have just ordered portable non-electric fencing from Premier One. I plan on moving it around some, but I'm limited on space. That's a good idea though.

Are the shells good and hard?
What kind of bedding in the nests(if that's where the broken eggs are found)?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
The shells are plenty hard. I have a rubber mat on the bottom of the nesting boxes, but I've recently added a bunch of pine shavings to each box and that seems to be helping. I've also added fake eggs to each box. I'm really hoping they don't learn to eat their own eggs... That would be devastating.
I'm currently feeding 16% Layer feed from Tractor Supply in a gravity feeder under the coop. They have access to an extended run that goes under our trampoline during the days when I'm working from home, but if I'm out of the house they have to stay in their fortress. Which is 10x25 for 10 chickens. I've provided a mirror, which they love, and some other enrichment-type toys that they have no interest in. I throw out a few handfuls of scratch grains first thing in the morning and they get a few handfuls of Grubblies in the evenings just before bed. If I have kitchen scraps I'll toss those out on occasion.

I agree with others that anything you plant will be destroyed quickly. It's not worth it unless you either have so much land that they can't keep up with the destruction (doesn't seem to be the case), or are willing to move them around and give part of the area time to regrow (also doesn't seem to be the case). So I'd say don't bother planting things. Providing a thick and varied substrate for them to scratch through would be more practical (dry leaves, wood chips, weeds, compost, etc.)

16% protein is too low, especially for laying hens. They may be lacking in protein. A lot of layer feeds provide the absolute bare minimum that's cost-efficient for large scale operations, but isn't actually enough for optimal health in the long run. Look for something closer to 18-20%.

What makes you think that the chickens are playing with their eggs because they are bored? Be careful not to project or anthropomorphize them too much. 10x25 is a good size for 10 chickens.

16% protein is too low, especially for laying hens. They may be lacking in protein. A lot of layer feeds provide the absolute bare minimum that's cost-efficient for large scale operations, but isn't actually enough for optimal health in the long run. Look for something closer to 18-20%.
If you switch to an "all flock" or "flock raiser" (18-20% protein), be aware that that type of feed is much lower in calcium, so you will need to supply oyster shell or crushed egg shell separately as a source of calcium.

If you switch to an "all flock" or "flock raiser" (18-20% protein), be aware that that type of feed is much lower in calcium, so you will need to supply oyster shell or crushed egg shell separately as a source of calcium.
Thank you for this! I didn't realize you could feed a higher protein feed after they were 20 weeks old. I'm already providing crushed oyster shells and grit. Will start looking for a higher protein feed.

Back
Top Bottom