Another run ground cover question!

May 10, 2023
Portland, OR
20230511_191953.jpg
20230511_192258.jpg

Situation:
We converted an unused shed into a coop and put the run around 2 sides of it. 8'x32' has a roof over it, and 8'x16' is uncovered. There's a bit of large gravel around the shed and grass (for now) over the rest and we have clay soil. I love being with the chicks (ten-12 week old freeloaders), and scooping poop doesn't bother me.
Questions:
Should I put sand under the covered area and organic material in the uncovered area with a divider to separate them?
Should I wait until the grass is gone to put the sand/chips down?

I really appreciate your advice, I want to keep my chicks happy and healthy😊

Trying to put down two different litter types is pointless as the birds will just scratch everything together.
I would stick to a decent layer of dry organic material. I prefer wood chips as they drain well and I can get them by the truckload for free at the local Highway department.

You don't need to put anything on the ground.
Plain natural ground is fine. Chickens should have access to natural ground, not sand.
It won't take long for the chickens to strip all the vegitation in the run.
If you find you have waterlogging problems then proper drainage is the answer.
If you are happy poop cleaning in the run that's fine. The way I would tackle a run like that in the picture is to use a thin bladed mattock to break the soil up as and when necessary.

I love being with the chicks (ten-12 week old freeloaders), and scooping poop doesn't bother me.
The way I would tackle a run like that in the picture is to use a thin bladed mattock to break the soil up as and when necessary.
It's a large easy to manage run from what I can see in the pictures.
From what I've read in the original post I doubt the OP is going to let the poop build up enough for any poop overload to be a problem.
Hardwood chip would be quite expensive for a run that size and would need adding to over time. Bare ground is just as capable of handling chicken poop, possible even better if the soil is broken up from time to time which will also encourage the birds to scratch in it.

It's a large easy to manage run from what I can see in the pictures.
From what I've read in the original post I doubt the OP is going to let the poop build up enough for any poop overload to be a problem.
Hardwood chip would be quite expensive for a run that size and would need adding to over time. Bare ground is just as capable of handling chicken poop, possible even better if the soil is broken up from time to time which will also encourage the birds to scratch in it.
My chips are free and I never have to do much of anything on the run,
except add more chips a once or twice a year.

IMO would be easier to just pick one type of litter throughout the whole run, I don't see a reason to have two types even if half the run is covered and half isn't.

How is the drainage at the location?

I would wait until the grass is mostly gone to add litter, might as well let them enjoy it while it's there.
Thanks! The drainage... it's not the best. We may end up putting a French drain in or next to it.

Back
Top Bottom