What to use on top of top soil in chicken run?

AMURPHY227

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2023
We've been having drainage issues in my chicken run. We did temporary fixes using pellet bedding and hay (See pic 1).

We built it up this weekend with organic topsoil (just dirt, sand and gravel) (pic2)

What is the best thing to put over that? Should I add gravel, then sand? I live in South Louisiana so it stays pretty humid here.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• mud run.jpg
    mud run.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 40
  • run.jpg
    run.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 21
You're run looks covered. Is the water just seeping in from the sides and underground? Or is the run at a low point?

Agree with the previous poster, definitely wood chips. The natural ones with no chemicals (not garden mulch you buy at the hardware/garden stores). We use wood chips and have no standing water whatsoever. But if you have other drainage issues, wood chips alone my not help.

BTW your run looks nice and cozy and protected :)

You're run looks covered. Is the water just seeping in from the sides and underground? Or is the run at a low point?

Agree with the previous poster, definitely wood chips. The natural ones with no chemicals (not garden mulch you buy at the hardware/garden stores). We use wood chips and have no standing water whatsoever. But if you have other drainage issues, wood chips alone my not help.

BTW your run looks nice and cozy and protected :)
Thank you!

And it’s just at a low point. We live on 7 acres and there’s uneven spots all over the property. When we built this we didn’t realize how low it was due to grass being there at the time.
We are about to add “barn wings” on to each side to expand it, so I’m hoping that will help too.

Back
Top Bottom