Switching to sand, need some advice!

M2L2

Chirping
Apr 9, 2022
Hey gang!

After fighting with wood chips and recently a case of bumblefoot, we decided we are going to scrape out our run, and:

-Drop a 6” layer of gravel (7/8” washed gravel) for drainage on the base)

-Drop a 8-12” layer of sand on top!

Before I take a run to the local bark/gravel supply yard, my wife and I thought it’d be prudent to post the products here we are going to be using as a last ditch, “is this right?” post 😂

Pictures attached of the 7/8” washed gravel for the drainage base layer, although for the top sand layer we are torn between the Coarse Builder’s Sand or the 5/8 Minus Crushed for the top sand layer.

What would you guys use?! We are leaning towards the Coarse Builder’s Sand..

Attachments

• IMG_5335.jpeg
    IMG_5335.jpeg
    920.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5334.jpeg
    IMG_5334.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5333.jpeg
    IMG_5333.jpeg
    970.2 KB · Views: 7
Gravel and sand will eventually mix, meanwhile the sand will capture pulverized poop and reek to high heaven.

I've had coarse wood chippings in my run for 10 years, never a case of bumblefoot here.

The only posts I've read in which someone was happy with sand had these two things in common:

NO gravel, for the reason @aart mentioned:
A very dry climate, so that the poop would desicate quickly.

“is this right?”
Not for me and I recommend against it, depending on your weather climate.. after reading all the wonderful stuff about sand I bought a dump truck load of washed river sand and HATE that stuff.. in MY environment.. stinks to high heaven. Heavy to move, doesn't compost.. and leaves a big litter box environment with no micro organisms to break down all the funk.

I aim for forest floor type mulch status.. while admitting I'm concerned about bumble foot just from the birds landing on shavings from roost inside the coop.. I have not YET had to deal with it, also more than a decade keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom