First Winter

@Sherry W. are you planning on keeping your pop door open all night long? The way you asked in your first post about it alone being enough ventilation makes me think you do. If so, your use of lightweight chicken wire on the run may make you want to rethink that idea. Chicken wire is easily compromised by predators. All the more reason to install separate venting that you can secure with more durable hardware cloth.

You might want to consider putting the vent on the south or east side of your coop. If you cut a whole near the eave , screw heavy wire lathe to the wood,Then screw a 4x6 inch vent over the wire lathe.. it will probably do the trick and be an extra barrier against predators (weasels/rodents etc)
Great coop btw!

@Sherry W. are you planning on keeping your pop door open all night long? The way you asked in your first post about it alone being enough ventilation makes me think you do. If so, your use of lightweight chicken wire on the run may make you want to rethink that idea. Chicken wire is easily compromised by predators. All the more reason to install separate venting that you can secure with more durable hardware cloth.

image.jpg
image.jpg
I was leaving the coop door open until 2 grey foxes came snooping around so I have been putting the screen back in at night for security. I also reinforced with lattice that is buried in the ground over the chicken wire.

How many birds in there?

What is your climate?
Putting your general location in your profile really helps garner viable answers and suggestions.

Hi sherry
The 3 things a coop needs
A window
A vent
And a secure door
Especially at night.. those should be the only openings in a coop.
The chickens have to be " locked up at night" bottom line

Back
Top Bottom