First worming

Ponyfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
California
I should have wormed awhile ago, but I didn't? But I was thinking since no one is giving eggs because it is cold it'd be a good time to worm. I have two girls both with messy butts, which they didn't have a few months ago so I am thinking they have worms. Also, I though worming them before I introduce any new babies I plan the raise this spring would be the best idea too.

What is the best safe all around wormer and it doesn't come in a giant package? (Since I have only two right now?)

I don't think you can get a smaller package than a horse wormer.
You're probably correct in assuming your girls have worms - most animals that eat off the ground will have them. I just finished worming my flock of 30 layers, but I knew they had tape worms, so used the specific wormer for that parasite. (Equimax: proziquantel/ivermectin) In the past, when I was uncertain about the work type, but just wanted to do routine flock maintenance, I used Safeguard.

Last edited:
I don't think you can get a smaller package than a horse wormer.
You're probably correct in assuming your girls have worms - most animals that eat off the ground will have them. I just finished my worming my flock of 30 layers, but I knew they had tape worms, so used the specific wormer for that parasite. (Equimax: proziquantel/ivermectin) In the past, when I was uncertain about the work type, but just wanted to do routine flock maintenance, I used Safeguard.
Be aware horse dwormers can be poisonous to dogs and cats.
Read labels.
I have never wormed my flock nor have ever had any issues.

Be aware horse dwormers can be poisonous to dogs and cats.
Read labels.
I have never wormed my flock nor have ever had any issues.
Acute Toxicity and Tolerance of Praziquantel
  • LD50 acute, mice, p.o. 2000-3000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, mice, s.c. 7000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, mice, i.p. >2000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, mice, i.m. >2000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, p.o. 2000-3000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, s.c. 16000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, i.p. 600-800 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, i.m. >1000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, dogs p.o. >200 mg/kg. It is not possible to determine a lethal dose >200 mg/kg after oral administration because such doses cause vomit.
  • LD50 acute, dogs: s.c. >3000 mg/kg
  • Praziquantel has a hIgh safety margin (~40). Usually dogs, cats and livestock tolerate praziquantel very well.
  • Puppies 4 to 5 weels old tolerated oral or parenteral doses of up to 55 mg/kg very well.
  • In dogs, daily administration of 60 to 180 mg/kg during 4 weeks cause no signs of toxicity. Parenteral doses of 200 mg/kg caused transient vomit, salivation (drooling) and/or depression.
  • In cats, parenteral administration of 50 to 100 mg/kg caused ataxia (uncoordinated movements) and depression. Parenteral doses of 200 mg/kg were fatal.
  • In birds praziquantel overdose is toxic for the liver. Injectable praziquantel is fatal for finches.

Acute Toxicity and Tolerance of Praziquantel
  • LD50 acute, mice, p.o. 2000-3000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, mice, s.c. 7000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, mice, i.p. >2000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, mice, i.m. >2000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, p.o. 2000-3000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, s.c. 16000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, i.p. 600-800 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, rats, i.m. >1000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, dogs p.o. >200 mg/kg. It is not possible to determine a lethal dose >200 mg/kg after oral administration because such doses cause vomit.
  • LD50 acute, dogs: s.c. >3000 mg/kg
  • Praziquantel has a hIgh safety margin (~40). Usually dogs, cats and livestock tolerate praziquantel very well.
  • Puppies 4 to 5 weels old tolerated oral or parenteral doses of up to 55 mg/kg very well.
  • In dogs, daily administration of 60 to 180 mg/kg during 4 weeks cause no signs of toxicity. Parenteral doses of 200 mg/kg caused transient vomit, salivation (drooling) and/or depression.
  • In cats, parenteral administration of 50 to 100 mg/kg caused ataxia (uncoordinated movements) and depression. Parenteral doses of 200 mg/kg were fatal.
  • In birds praziquantel overdose is toxic for the liver. Injectable praziquantel is fatal for finches.
Never used prazinquantel. I'm talking most equine wormers like Equest or Equest+ whatever it's called.

Piperazine isn't approved for hens here now either. I haven't wormed my flock in years, and this fall had negative fecals at the vet's. Have a fecal run before considering any worming!!! There's likely no need to do it, and there's really nothing approved for use anyway.
If there's actually a problem, then you will know what products will be useful, and can decide how to proceed.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom