First year chicken owner

I’m worried about one of my chickens by the name of Spitfire. She hasn’t laid an egg in about four weeks and won’t eat chicken feed. Last night she went to bed with an empty crop and I know she’s hungry.

What she wants is yogurt, scrambled eggs, live worms, or maybe some tunafish. I wasn’t giving her these items a lot before but now that she’s not eating, I feel like I need to make sure she stays alive.

Yesterday I refrained and I just don’t know if a chicken will starve themselves or go back to eating. She does not appear to have any other issue besides simply not eating certain items. She will not even eat scratch. I thought there was something wrong inside her throat, like it was scratched, and that’s why she wouldn’t eat hard items. Who knows!

I did post this in another area of the site and have gotten a couple of ideas but I thought I would put it here as well.

Does your hen have any other symptoms than simply not eating? How old is she and can you send pictures?
Hi
She is 11 month old. The picture attached is right around the last time she laid an egg which was 8/15. I thought she had an egg broken inside because she started pooping what looked like raw eggs. I flushed her system and not much else happened. It’s been hot here but the others have continued laying.
At first she was walking around slowly so I thought she needed to lay an egg or had one stuck but that wasn’t the case.
Today I tried to feed her the flock block since that’s her favorite thing but she pecked a few times and walked away.
It’s not that she doesn’t want to eat… when searching for worms she will peck at the others to get away and she will devour the worms. She also wants protein like tuna or meal worms.
It’s just weird.

Attachments

• 144A9936-F79D-4BC1-B645-36BC19DF11AA.png
    144A9936-F79D-4BC1-B645-36BC19DF11AA.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom