First year showing chickens, how do you think this bird will do?

How will this bird do in a county show against other standard American breeds?

• Excellent

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Good

• Fairly well

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Fairly poorly

• Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FeatheredFriends&Horses2

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
Nebraska
Hi all! So it's my first year showing chickens and I'm showing in the Standard American division at county fair. How do you think this barred Plymouth Rock (her name is Iron) will do? Positive points and negative points? Should I maybe choose another bird? Thanks!
20200718_092136.jpg
20200718_092152.jpg
20200718_091528_HDR.jpg
20200718_092240.jpg
20200718_092200.jpg
20200718_092251_HDR.jpg

I'm not an expert, but her feathers look kind of messy, and her legs look really yellow. Shouldn't there be more gray in them? I don't know, I could be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am.
Thanks for the input! Unfortunately all my birds' feathers are kind of messy. I use them mainly as egg production hens not show birds, I just thought it would be a fun thing to try.

She certainly wouldn’t do well at an APA show. At a fair she might do okay, though I wouldn’t expect much better than a best of breed.
APA barred Plymouth Rocks are much larger and longer with a smooth slope to the tail. They are rectangular and very deep, enormous birds. Hatchery barred Rocks don’t have this.
1595214165692.jpeg
Here is a decent hen. The photo obviously doesn’t belong to me.
The important thing is you’ll get the learning experience.
This fall, if possible, go to a show, look around at the show and talk with breeders. Find out what breed you’d be interested in and purchase a SOP. With the right birds to start off, you could win at a fair quite easily.

So here's my practice attempt at showmanship. I know my hen is a bit flighty; my original showmanship bird decided to go broody. If you all would be willing to take a look and tell me what I did right (if anything😬😂) and what I need to work on, I'd really appreciate it! Sorry, I know the video is sideways, I couldn't fix it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom