First year showing chickens, how do you think this bird will do?

How will this bird do in a county show against other standard American breeds?

• Excellent

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Good

• Fairly well

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Fairly poorly

• Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Plus just the fact that she's a recognized need will be helpful to her. In my fair at least, mutts and breeds not recognized don't do as well because there isn't much to really compare to them.
Very true.
At my fair people brought two “English” Orpingtons in unrecognized colors and those were the only English. They didn’t place above best of variety so there was no champion English. Any hatchery buff could have gotten the title.

Very windy day, wasn’t it?
This is really good! I could take some tips from it too! I never think about the importance of production qualities.
The only things I would change would be to also compare the hen to the standard: size, head width, back width, clarity of barring.
Identify hackle and saddle feathers as well as the axial feather. It is important to note the axial feather because without it she would have split wing, a disqualification.
Learn all of the parts of the wing: primaries, secondaries, axial feather, bow, bar, shoulder and coverts.
Some other things to note would be the tail, the breast, the thighs, the hock, the toes.
Are the toes straight? Note that. Does she have all her toenails? Note that. Does she have bumble foot? Note that.
Note that four fingers between the pelvic bones is really good. Tell the judge the standard weights (in pounds): Cock 9 and 1/2, Hen 7/2, Cockerel 8, Pullet 6.
Rocks are one of the largest breeds.
Describe the origins of the Rock.
Judges like if you throw in interesting tidbits about the breed.
Also have a general knowledge of poultry, which they’ll ask questions about at the end.
And remember to state your management practices like what they are being fed and how they are being housed.
Thank you so much! I originally planned on adding a lot of that stuff, but then my fairbook said I had a 4 minute time limit. I just finished my show and I did add in the axial feather and no bumblefoot, so thank you! And yes it was windy, but that was only fairly windy! I live in Nebraska where wind is a standard feature.

I just returned from my coop...I thought you had my GORGEOUS Chanel. Lol, personally I wouldn't worry to much unless the chicken feed endorsement for winning are HUGE, just have fun and learn from the experience so you are better for the next show. Just my 2 cents worth from a non show bird chicken keeper.

Thank you so much! I originally planned on adding a lot of that stuff, but then my fairbook said I had a 4 minute time limit. I just finished my show and I did add in the axial feather and no bumblefoot, so thank you! And yes it was windy, but that was only fairly windy! I live in Nebraska where wind is a standard feature.
Just wanted to say thank you all! This afternoon I completed my first and last 4H poultry show. I won senior showmanship and my hen received a purple. Thanks for the advice!
Awesome! It’s great to hear you did so well!

She certainly wouldn’t do well at an APA show. At a fair she might do okay, though I wouldn’t expect much better than a best of breed.
APA barred Plymouth Rocks are much larger and longer with a smooth slope to the tail. They are rectangular and very deep, enormous birds. Hatchery barred Rocks don’t have this.
View attachment 2253174Here is a decent hen. The photo obviously doesn’t belong to me.
The important thing is you’ll get the learning experience.
This fall, if possible, go to a show, look around at the show and talk with breeders. Find out what breed you’d be interested in and purchase a SOP. With the right birds to start off, you could win at a fair quite easily.
Would you have to order BR from a hatchery and rebreed those traits back in or is there a hatchery where you can buy almost SOP chicks? I'm new to chicken showing and I would like to raise good birds.

Would you have to order BR from a hatchery and rebreed those traits back in or is there a hatchery where you can buy almost SOP chicks? I'm new to chicken showing and I would like to raise good birds.
No I've never encountered hatchery birds that are bred to the Standard of Perfection, and crossing hatchery birds to show quality stock would only lessen the quality of the stock. Since barred Rocks are so common there is no reason to try to improve hatchery birds through breeding.
I would recommend finding a good Plymouth Rock breeder in your area to buy breeding stock.
It's nice to see someone interested in showing poultry!

Back
Top Bottom