First Year Showing.....Fair is 3 weeks and counting

at our fair you don't really do anything...you just stand near the judge when they judge your bird and you can usually ask questions and stuff.....my phoenix bantam pair got reserve champion in my division! i was so excited! BEST OF LUCK!

give a bath like 2 or three days before , and i put mineral oil on their legs every day the week before and like two hours before judging . what breed are you showing ? do you have pics? best of luck!

I have won my turkey class for the past 4 or 5 years, and it really isnt that hard
smile.png

You will take ur bird to the judge. You need to teach it to walk with a cane if u havnt yet. just lightly tap it on the shoulders with the hook side of the cane and they should move away form pressure. I dont nessecarily know if you must walk one during your fair or if hens are required to know.
When your with the judge put one knee on the ground and one up, and have ur birds chest agianst the leg that is up and have one hand in front of the bird and one on its back. Really, you just need to know your turkey parts, and a few turkey diseases. The knowledge about your bird. Age, (19weeks is my tom) Breed, sex (jenny,jake<--under one year.... hen,tom<--- over 1 yr) what they eat (mine is 20% protein turkey grower mash). How long does it take an egg to hatch (28 days). Hatching temperature (for advanced classes). Fan your bird's tail when showing the parts of ur bird and u get to the tail part, its more impressive. and fan ur birds wing when talking about wing parts and count the 10 primary feathers is also impressive. The more you talk and talk and talk. the more they like you. Its better to say more than to say less. hope this helps.

This link has helped me a lot:
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/4hpoultry/t02_pageview/Showing_Tips.htm

also
this ( same website has parts of the bird and practice along with skillaton info)
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/4hpoultry/t02_pageview/Skillathon_Material.htm

Back
Top Bottom