Fish gut

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cookiesdaddy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    I was cleaning some rock fish (fresh caught). The girls gathered waiting for some goodies. Threw them a small piece of gut part, and next thing I knew, they were attacking me and pecking wildly at the fish tummies [​IMG] Didn't have much left for the compost pile!

Anybody feed fish gut to chickens? I don't go fishing everyday, so I guess occasional feeding of fish gut is OK. NO?

2. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I would sure feed them to the chicks if they like them! I think that would be a very healthy addition to their diet.

Vicki

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We feed shrimp heads and shells along with fish heads and even some bones they gobble them up.

4. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yup, give them the guts! Great stuff for them.

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i fed mine shrimp tails the other day. so, this is gross, but can you feed them the entrails you do't want after you slaughter another chicken or is that dangerous?

6. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:Umm...something seems not so great about that. Can't say why, but my brain is sending vague no-no messages.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would avoid givng back entrails to the same species since if you have really bad luck, something bad can happen like prion explosions. Unlikley though but a faint risk. Like eating raw eggs, chances you are you wil be fine, but that one time you aren't in a million, you'll have a terrible night and day or two. They won't hesitate to eat their kind though...

8. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:Yes...thank you for clarifying. It's another thing to feed them back cooked chicken, but nobody I care to know is going to boil up entrails. I would think the possibility of eating "in progress feces" would be bad.

9. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i wasn't thinking of cooking them, just letting them pick over the icky parts. but without the feathers, so hopefully they wouldn't get bad habits from it. i was thinking, well, since they dooooo eat each other (not here, luckily, so far.) it seemed icky and i'm not sure if i could really do it, but i was wondering. when i've fed the extras to the cat and dog, i always made sure there was no feather left so they wouldn't get any ideas.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Becides the gut, what's left after a butucher? I eat the livers, hearts, feet, and gizzard. All I can think of left is literaly intestine, kidneys, bile, lungs and other non paletable things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by