Fish heads and stuff.

The bones should be fine as long as they're raw. If you're going to cook the bones, cook them down enough (or can them) so the bones get soft - not just until the meat falls off the bones. If the bones are raw and the birds aren't swallowing huge bones, they will grind them up just fine.

Crush the heads and stuff with a hammer to make it more accessable - maybe even in front of them, it might peak their interest. The only real concern I would have is that some fish around here carry tapeworms - can chickens get tapeworm infestations? It's only a few kinds of fish, so it's not a huge deal.

Hi WallTenters! I am on the other side of the Cascades, the wet side. I am not sure if chickens could get get get tapeworms from raw infected fish but I would lean on the side of caution. The small mouth bass in the Umpqua River have small parasitic cysts in their flesh. I trim them out of the meat when cooking them for us but not when canning for the animals. That meat is cooking under pressure for an hour and 40 minutes, if the bones are turning soft, the cysts are done also. The biggest concern we have is not letting the dogs have any contact with raw salmon. The parasites in the salmon that cause salmon poisoning in dogs is just so dangerous to them. I am curious if the steelhead returning to streams over your way carry the parasite.

Hmmm something to think about. We actually don't like fish too much so the only fishing we do is my fiance for recreation... sometimes he brings it home but usually he just catches and releases. I've never really thought about the salmon - we get some every year from the reservation fishermen but we do cook it well anyway or have it smoked by a family member... hmmmm....

Yep. We actually got rain today! It was great - I hope we have a nice spring and summer this year. I hope the back yard comes in really nice - it will be a giant chick brooder (tractors) here in another month or two!
big_smile.png

I really do feel blessed to live here. Beautiful summers, beautiful winters, beautiful springs and short falls!
big_smile.png
My mom is in Sweet Home - talk about wet! Right at the base of the mountains - she gets soaked about 9 months out of the year. Are you going to the spring swap? I might go, or I might meet up for my one purchased chick (a cutie of a roo for my neice) earlier than that. It's right after the Stevenson show and I only have so much travel in me
big_smile.png

Yes, I am looking forward to the spring swap! I have been reading along that thread. Can not decide what to add to my small flock. So many tempting breeds. That is so sweet of you to get your niece her own chicken! What a terrific aunty you are! Yes, it was a bit rainy yesterday, the yard is a mud moat. The floors are crunchy with dried mud. I do not have the heart to mop until rainy season is over and done with but that will not be until June. Not complaining though! Mild winters and beautiful summers are wonderful. Oregon is great place to live.

Maybe I should bring crushed fish heads to the swap
big_smile.png
How do you think that would go over?

We actually got her three birds at the last fall swap - unfortunately her rooster (SWEETEST THING EVER) died with no warning or apparent cause. She was very upset and worried for some time her hens would do the same, but they seem fine. She's got a bantam cornish hen, a bantam americauna hen, and we're getting her a Serama rooster. What a mix! I personally think a bantam mille fluer cochin hen would fill in the group nicely, but only if I come across a nice one that's available
big_smile.png

Okay I'll stop hijacking your post now
big_smile.png
Back to fish guts!

Back
Top Bottom