1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fish heads and stuff.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ocpoolguy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ocpoolguy

ocpoolguy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Orange County CA
    I am a fisherman for fun. After cleaning fish should I or could I feed the chickens some of the fish heads and back bones? Pure protien I think.
    FIY no chickend yet, we want layers building coop soon loking at getting chicks this easter.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I would be a little bit worried about the bones. I am sure people around here have tried it successfully, but it seems a bit risky.

The other thing I would worry about is if large amounts of fish would begin to effect the taste of the eggs. I know garlic and onions can have that effect. The omega-3 eggs from the grocery store are from hens fed fish oil, and they have an unusual flavor to me, though some people like it.
    You could always try it, see if the eggs start to taste fishy, and stop if you don't like it. The eggs would go back to normal after awhile.

3. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

I can our fish scraps for the dogs, cats and chickens. That way any parasites are taken care of and the bones basically dissolve in the canning process. Too much oily fish like tuna can make the eggs taste fishy. Had to separate 2 hens from the flock this winter when they went through a hard molt. Gave them a 1/4 cup of fish for about 3 weeks while their feathers grew in. They feathered out beautifully but the first week of eggs from those 2 when they started laying again were fishy. Kinda like eating fish omelets, okay, but different.

4. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Kids were feeding live minnows to the girls this past summer, It was like fish football.

What is the recipe for canning fish?

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Tryed to give mine heads and they were scared of it except for one [​IMG]

AC

6. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I've never tried, but I think as long as it's an edible food thing it would be OK - I'm guessing that's where fish "meal" comes from anyway - the left over parts, no ? Not sure about the bones. Seeing that they swallow everything whole and don't chew it - I'd be afraid the bones would cause a problem in their crops.

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I'm thinking of asking my dad to save the salmon heads this fall for this exact purpose. They'll probably go in the deep freezer to get doled out once a week or so.

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I would think the heads would be fine. I think they would peck the flesh and eyes off. The back bones, if too large to eat, would probably be OK and they could pick off flesh. Small bones, however, could cause internal problems. Mine just ate the shrimp shells from last night's dinner out of the compost pile.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Fish meal is ground scraps, bone and all. I would worry about the spiney rib bones and fin bones--like the canning idea if it softens the bones so much. We eat canned sardines, bones and all, but they are tiny to begin with.

10. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    My brother used to keep turkeys. Any time he pulled in the yard with his boat all the birds would be bouncing around back and forth at the fence like a bunch of hungry velociraptors. We'd fillet the fish right there on the tailgate and just chuck all the leftover bits over the fence. They could reduce a 40-50 pound salmon's bones etc to NOTHING in a few short hours. What they couldn't eat was picked clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by