Fish Oil

Quote:
So Glib, what zone are you in? I have wanted to try this here in Utah, but have not had the courage yet. Thought I would try more a cold frame set up (hay bales & glass roof), but being a Canadian I am leary/nervous (not totally convinced) that this would work.

It works very well in Michigan Zone 5.5. I have done it for 8 years. It might work even better in Utah where it is sunnier (and therefore it will be warmer under the tunnels). You can only grow the cold-hardiest crops under, of course, but as luck may have it, they are very nutritious, and they keep extremely well in the fridge. In January, there might be only two sundays when it is warm enough that the veggies unfreeze by 4pm. Then you go pick two buckets of veggies, and can eat salads for two weeks.

The tunnels need to be done properly. I like it when it snows because the plastic is held down perfectly by all that snow and then the tunnels are totally airtight. But after a while you learn to make them so the wind does not blow them and then you have all these great winter veggies year after year. Ask if you need to know more.

I keep carrot tops in the freezer for making stock, and after they can go to the chickens.

Can you explain more please? Are you saying that you actually use the carrot tops in the stock and then when you strain you give your chickens the discard? And what do carrot tops taste like?

Alot of good info there, thanks​

Carrot tops are the best green stuff for stock. All other greens (the brassicas, chard, spinach etc.) have inferior flavor - for stock. The carrot tops are not good for anything else really, they are too tough for salads or as a potherb. My standard stock is beef bones (we get large amounts by getting a grass-fed cow with other families), carrot tops, onions and onion peels, and the carrot pulp that comes from the juicer. Simple and very comforting in winter. I make 5 gallons at a time, which I freeze in one quart containers, and we make soup every night.

That sounds great! What time is dinner?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom