1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fish smelling eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by team_realtree, Sep 22, 2010.

1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    When I cook the eggs from my rhode island reds they smell faintly fishy? They don't taste fishy they just smell it when they are cooking. Does anyone know why?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have no idea. Are you feeding oyster shells? I don't know if that would do it or not, but it's the only thing I can think of.

3. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    no [​IMG]

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Hmmm...does your feed happen to have fishmeal in it? Could you be storing them in a refriderator that has a fishy smell?

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Too much flax can make them taste fishy also, but don't know since it's just the smell.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I give mine salmon to eat once a week and I've never smelled anything fishy.

Perhaps your RIRs have more Omega III in them. Healthy!

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Funny you should metion this..I boiled about 4 eggs for breakfast one day this week and 3 of them were good, but one smelled fishy so I threw it out. I love fish, but hate the smell of fresh fish...

8. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    They eat wild grass and get tractor supply "rolling acres" layer feed. Thats it. I want to give eggs away to people but not if they smell like salmon when they are cooking. I know they are fresh but most people would smell that and throw them away. [​IMG] Finally eggs and now this!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by