Fish Tank Conversion into a hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Habibs Hens, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Hi Guys

i wanted some advise on converting a fishtank into a watchable hatcher

what i plan to do is use a incubator top [the fan and heater part]

install that onto a custom made lid that allows a better closure as to not let heat escape yet still allow air exchange

then glue some rods to the glass so i can put in some shelves

------------------------

or my other idea is to turn it on its side

glue some rods for shelves with one right at top where i can sit the incubater heater on

and then make a custom made door with the correct amont od air exchange

You guys think that will work or a dumb idea ??

please be brutal with your thoughts and ideas

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Sounds awesome! You need to find a way to control the temperature, and the only way to do it, when you are gone, or ASLEEP is with a thermostat. You need to purchase a thermostat. I suggest getting a water heater thermostat.

This type.

[​IMG]

When using a water heater thermostat, you will run into problems with the temperature fluctuation. I suggest that you drill holes into the thermostat, that is so the thermostat can react faster to changes in temperature.

Here is a video about drilling holes into the thermostat. (I have done it, and if you are using the correct drill bit, which are easy to find, it is a piece of cake to drill the holes)

Another mistake most people that are building there first incubator make, is the location of the thermostat. Most people put the water heater thermostat nearest to where the eggs are located. They have correct thinking, but you can only do that with certain thermostats. The temperature near the eggs would be the ambient temperature, the temperature 2 inches from the light bulb would be the radiant temperature. A water heater thermostat detects radiant heat, and needs to be placed with the metal side facing the bulb within 2 inches from the light bulb.

Here's another video. Explaining the placement.

Here are some pictures of my cooler incubator. I have the thermostat placed within 1 1/2 inches from the bulb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are using another heating element besides a light bulb, you would be better off not using a water heater thermostat.

If you are using something other than a light bulb for heating, I recommend using a wafer thermostat.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    controling temp and humidity i have a master plan for that

im gonna use a brinsea mini advance EX and slide it into the top shelf of the tank with out its base

that will control temp and humidy automatically

and the great thing is i can slide out the brinsea and use it as a incubator aswell as nothing will have been altered on it

4. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma

Oh, I guess I didn't read that. Well, what do you need to know? The way you arrange your incubator is your decision, I was just trying to help you with the heating.

By the way, I thought the Brinsea mini incubators had excellent viewing. What is the purpose of using a fish tank?

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I also think that trying to use that small incubator to heat a large fish tank might over work the incubator top.

Just a suggestion. I try to not offend any one, but I really don't want any one to make a mistake that would cost them.

6. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    please i was glad of your post as i am gonna make a second one using the themostat you showed so thank you

the purpose of using the fishtank is the mini only holds 10 max eggs as a hatcher or 7 eggs as a incubator which then makes goose or turkey eggs too large to even work inside of it

and just about managing duck eggs

so i will make a small box 50cm max which will then hold about 30 odd eggs just purely for hatching

yes i did look into that scenario and that is why i will be making it very small for a max on 30 odd eggs

it will be 25cm by 25cm by 50cm with 17cm taking up the space of teh brinsea in in effect the hatcher will be only 25x25x32cm and the heating elment will be ok for that size

7. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    I too am concerned with Mini being over worked. How about finding a small bulb maybe nite lite,maybe little round 7 1/2w bulb or a 15w bulb .Something that will get the temp in tank up to 90-95 deg all by itself.Then use the Mini to bring it on up to and control temp.That way the Mini won't have to do all the work .The other thing might be air flow ,that Mini fan ain't very big ...You know you can drill holes in glass with a Glass Drill Bits even( Harbor Freight )has them .Be sure and back up where your drilling with a piece of wood with a piece of cloth between glass and block to give it a little support. I made several fish tanks into brooders that way Only one UH OH take your time start with smaller bit and work your way up in size.Works for me...cva34

It is an interesting Idea!!!

8. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Cheers for the advice

yes i was gonna get a diamond drill bit designed for glas a tile

i have done tile many times so feel confident i sould be ok on glass

i see the over work issue but feel at the size im going to it sould be ok

and worse come to worse i can buy a second fan and longer heating element from brinsea and extend the range

the electronics inside the mini is exactly the same as the octo 20 or 40

the only diference being the the 40 has 2 fans and a longer span of heating wire and the 20 has a longer span of wire with 1 fan

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by