Fisher showed up on our game camera...kinda worried about the chickens now.

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
So we had a fox and raccoon problem this summer. Put a automatic door closer/opener on the coop to keep the coons out. Now a fisher has shown up on the game camera in the woods behind our house. Will the go after chickens during the day or only night time? Ofcourse I say that knowing there are exceptions. The fox only came mid day to catch a chicken, but that was not a healthy animal (we caught it). The fisher looks healthy from the photos. I know mustelids are very aggressive hunters, but just don't know how determined they are to go after chickens and when.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Can you post the pics?

Here's the best pic. But I know what a fisher looks like. My dad traps and I'm a biologist. It showed up 2 nights in a row on the game camera. Got at least a dozen pictures of it, along with two rolly polly raccoons, a coyote and a red fox. All during the full moon or close to it. Will probably set traps for a raccoon or two, but the fisher we needed to buy a tag before August.

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
I have never had a fisher attach during the day. How secure is your coop? Do you have windows and are they protected by hardware cloth?

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I have never had a fisher attach during the day. How secure is your coop? Do you have windows and are they protected by hardware cloth?

I do have windows and vents. The vents only have chicken wire, but I'm cutting hardware cloth to go over them instead. The windows have 1x2 wire from the garden over them. I do worry about the roof being a polycarbonate roof, and it ripping thru the roof.

Top Bottom