Fisher showed up on our game camera...kinda worried about the chickens now.

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
So we had a fox and raccoon problem this summer. Put a automatic door closer/opener on the coop to keep the coons out. Now a fisher has shown up on the game camera in the woods behind our house. Will the go after chickens during the day or only night time? Ofcourse I say that knowing there are exceptions. The fox only came mid day to catch a chicken, but that was not a healthy animal (we caught it). The fisher looks healthy from the photos. I know mustelids are very aggressive hunters, but just don't know how determined they are to go after chickens and when.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Can you post the pics?

Here's the best pic. But I know what a fisher looks like. My dad traps and I'm a biologist. It showed up 2 nights in a row on the game camera. Got at least a dozen pictures of it, along with two rolly polly raccoons, a coyote and a red fox. All during the full moon or close to it. Will probably set traps for a raccoon or two, but the fisher we needed to buy a tag before August.

I have never had a fisher attach during the day. How secure is your coop? Do you have windows and are they protected by hardware cloth?

I have never had a fisher attach during the day. How secure is your coop? Do you have windows and are they protected by hardware cloth?

I do have windows and vents. The vents only have chicken wire, but I'm cutting hardware cloth to go over them instead. The windows have 1x2 wire from the garden over them. I do worry about the roof being a polycarbonate roof, and it ripping thru the roof.

Back
Top Bottom