1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fisher ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Joe.G, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    A friend of mine trapped a Fisher along my Stream, Anyone have any dealing with these, Are they nasty? Will they eat my chickens?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh, yes.

3. mmktdox

mmktdox Chillin' With My Peeps

They are very very good hunters and will kill your chickens in a heartbeat. Shoot, shovel and shut up, then keep that trap baited in case another moves into it's territory. Good luck!

4. Huntress78

Huntress78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    NE Wisconsin
    Fishers are a top predator for their size... tough and agile enough to kill porcupines. They are fast and can climb trees easily. They're also curious and confident which makes them pretty easy to trap. If it's legal by you I would not SSS but trap, skin and sell! The last two pelts I sold brought $60 for the large male and $80 for the small female...enough money for an extra roll of fencing and a trip to the feed mill.

5. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    It is skinned already and going to market.

6. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Just curious... did you tan the pelt yourself or sell it raw? Where do you market a single pelt?
    (I tanned one a number of years ago, and can't imagine selling it as it was an enormous amount of time and work...)

7. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    It went to a kid around here who shipped it with a bunch of other pelts he had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by