Five baby bantam chicks! What breed bantam?!?

What is an OEGB?? I’ve normally only dealt with normal chicken breeds lol bantams haven’t been in my flock
Old English Game Bantam. They are not as feisty as their large foul counterpart. They're smart with tons of personality. The hens are amazing mothers and go broody pretty often. The roosters think they're large foul and will take on any other bird. They make great pets.
We have almost exclusively bantams not including the eight different breeds of large foul girls just for eggs and pets we have 10 different varieties of bantam and within those we probably have about 30 different colors.

Old English Game Bantam. They are not as feisty as their large foul counterpart. They're smart with tons of personality. The hens are amazing mothers and go broody pretty often. The roosters think they're large foul and will take on any other bird. They make great pets.
We have almost exclusively bantams not including the eight different breeds of large foul girls just for eggs and pets we have 10 different varieties of bantam and within those we probably have about 30 different colors.
Do you have pictures of your OEGB? Do you have Sultans too?? And silkies??? lol i started with the standard chickens. And have loved them!! But the roosters have gotten mean!! They attack me constantly. My kids are terrified of the big bird coops now

They don't seem to stand like Japanese babies and their legs look to long for Japanese. Our solid black roo, Waddles, got his name because his legs are so short he can't walk without swaying side to side.
Is there a way to know sex of them this early?

I just found this thread (sorry, I'm a bit late), but this is wrong:

Q: Bantam buff cochin chick how many toes

A: They have five toes, rather than the usual four, and they have the silky coat that comes from incredibly soft and fluffy feathers. They have black skin and bones, and as true bantam chickens, they weigh just 2 pounds.

I found this information online.
Someone put the wrong breed name on that description.

That description is a perfect fit for Silkies, but very wrong for Cochins.

Cochins have the normal number of toes (four per foot), and do not have black skin & bones. Their feathers are also not "silky."

I just found this thread (sorry, I'm a bit late), but this is wrong:

Someone put the wrong breed name on that description.

That description is a perfect fit for Silkies, but very wrong for Cochins.

Cochins have the normal number of toes (four per foot), and do not have black skin & bones. Their feathers are also not "silky."
I have Silkie babies too. The yellow has 5 toes but none of the other Silkie characteristics. Sultan seems more likely to me for the yellow baby

I have Silkie babies too. The yellow has 5 toes but none of the other Silkie characteristics. Sultan seems more likely to me for the yellow baby
I agree that your yellow chick is not a Silkie.

But someone has been saying that Cochins have 5 toes (which they do not), so I wanted to clarify that.

Yes, Sultan seems likely for the yellow chick.

Last edited:
Do you have pictures of your OEGB? Do you have Sultans too?? And silkies??? lol i started with the standard chickens. And have loved them!! But the roosters have gotten mean!! They attack me constantly. My kids are terrified of the big bird coops now
By Breed (or size)

STANDARDS/ Large Fowl
2 Welsummer Chocolate, Brownie
2 Turken Derp, Emu
4 EE Teach, Thestrel, Dottie, Pretty Girl
1 ?? Carmel
1 Sapphire Storm
1 blue Marans Cyclone
2 Brahma buff Bagel, Croissant
1 Starlight Green Egger Star
Total 14 hens 14 roos 0

BANTAMS

16 Seramas.
3 cocks -
12 hens -

25 Cochins

2 frizzle white - Angel, Scrunchie
2 Calico - Waffles, Skittles,
2 White - Cotton , Snow
1 silver laced - Ed
4 Mottled - Nightlight, Nebula, unnamed, unnamed
1 Self Blue - Blue
3 Bobtail - Hera, Hermes, Apollo
1 red Cochins Red
2 Buff Cochin Peach, Clementine
2 black Emerald, Sapphire
1 black frizzle Uno
4 blue 3 girls, 1 boy

13 D'Uccle

1 d'Anvers

Silkie/Satin/Showgirl
3 buff Silkie Apricot, Pumpkin, Mango
2 silkies. Flame, Smoke
2 frizzled black satin Floof, Fluff
1 splash satin Rain

Modern English
1 Lemon Blue

8 Old English Game
2 BB Red - Tiny, Smidge
6 self blue/splash - Blueboy, Bluebell, Splash, 2 pullets
1 spangled Faith

Japanese
2 black, Waddles, Yang

Various

1 buff laced Sebright Toasted Marshmallow
1 silkie Serama mix Socks
1 frizzle Serama/cochin Spike
5 silkie cochin mixes 3g, 2b

Firefly, Red Pyle OEGB hen
20200221_225935.jpg

Splash, splash OEGB hen
20190813_171608.jpg

Tiny, black breasted red OEGB hen
20190906_160341.jpg

Smidge, black breasted red hen
20220126_152412.jpg

Patriot, spangled cock bird
20210614_202704.jpg

Colonel, silver blue cock bird
20210514_160315.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a way to know sex of them this early?
I watch my babies a lot. Some of them will bump chests and play fight. The ones that do it the most are almost always boys. My Cochin boys combs often turn pink around 3 weeks. (I have had two that I thought were girls until they were 5 months though)
Other than that, wait to about 6 weeks old. Most boys combs will show color by then.

Thank y’all so much!! And you have some beautiful birds!!!! I can’t wait to see these little babies grow!!! I’m so excited!!!! If the yellow one is a Sultan, or anything else, i only have one of its breed.. I’ll have to figure out which way to coop it!!

Back
Top Bottom