Five day old chick needs help!

Hold him nose down and do percussions on his back. This will help to expectorate the mucous. Fresh Garlic is good, add some food processed kale to the mash along with some olive oil. Isn't mullein an expectorant? Just remember that just because something comes from herbal origins, doesn't mean that it is completely safe. Many of the drugs we use every day and know to be lethal is certain doses came from herbal origins (aspirin, penicillin, silymarin, THC, etc...). Sometimes it is okay to give an animal antibiotics if it will spare the kidneys an onslaught of random chemicals. This is a very little chick whose kidneys aren't even fully functional. I would give the greens, garlic and olive oil as well as an antibiotic. Antibiotics are a focused attack on the pathogen and they save the kidneys from being overworked. It is okay to give antibiotics when they may mean the difference between life and death. It is not okay to give antibiotics on a prophylactic basis.

Green poop coming out is a good thing. It's better coming out than staying in.Be sure to change out the padding. We keep hay in our rescue cages and place a clean cotton cloth like a dishcloth or baby diaper or paper towels, something to catch the poop and remove as needed so the baby doesn't re-infect itself . Do you think the chick may be leaning because she's dizzy and that's the only way she can stay vertical? The more she can stand the better she will drain out all the crud, gravity.

Try what rbaker said. When our little duck was dying we did the percussions and massage like you burp a baby, we did head down with rocking tapping her back lightly and stroking her spine from top to bottom and the duck sneezed/drained fluid from her nostrils and her mouth. Rubbed her tummy right to left in a circle (her back to your front, her front facing outward from your body) following the natural pattern for bowel evacuation.
Not recognizing the brands you mentioned, Kali Phos NO, Nux Vomica NO-these two remedies do not meet symptoms.

Thanks rbaker, I'm going to give it a shot after the poor thing has a bit of a break.

MuleSkinner, I think dizzy is right. There's quite a bit of drifting to the side going on now that it's tired and trying to sleep.

Alright, held upside down and patted, got a little 'burp,' was gasping for a moment then seemed to eat it. I did get some up from the first time, so I'm thinking that was most of what was in there. You guys think it was indeed from the lungs? I'm starting to really get worried about weight. Skin, bones and fluff at this point.

I quit the gruel at this point. It's a milled feed and not fine enough, making a mash of my 'tiels feed instead. It's Harrisons High Potency, says it's ok for budgies and doves, so I'm assuming it's ok for all softbills. So it's the feed, Rescue, and garlic mixed with the Duramycin 10 solution which is 2 tsp/gal.

But there's no real eating. It squirms like a devil, then as soon as it's still it's asleep!

OKay so I am not all that experienced with chickens but, I have heard if you turn them upside down they can't breath. So if this is true if he is already having trouble breathing it might not be good to turn it completely upside. I don't know maybe when you do percussions you shouldn't turn it upside down maybe you should just hold it parallel to the floor tummy down. Good luck.

when he can eat ok again. mix his chick feed with warm water and a little bit of honey to make like a pasty soup. thats what we do with our weak or injured chicks. i hope he gets better. keep us posted

dandydoodle
I do know, but thank you. I think a 45* angle is pretty safe, especiall if the goal is to drain the lungs.

silkielover
Honey isn't a bad idea. Might make it taste more appealing too

Sterling was sleeping a moment ago, but mouth breathing again. I used another q-tip and got a glob of mucus, looks like it was blocking the nose. Not as watery though, and not as much as before. I'm going to let sleep for a while. I guess I'm staying up for a few hours to make sure there's not problems.

Attempting to upload a photo, but it's taking forever...

Well there's a reason for everything. On a whim I listened to the breathing of one of the 'healthy' chicks. Guess what? Everyone is sick. Sterling is just the only one who's showing it. So everyone is on the Duramycin now, as they're still eating and drinking I'm not too concerned. Don't know how we'll dose the ones with the broody hen, but I guess if she's been exposed she should probably get some too.

As for Sterling, things are looking like they might just be ok. Woke up for a little bit, pecked at feed and nearly fell head first into the water when trying to drink. I'm guessing there's more wrong with this one then just being sick, seeing as everyone is actually sick but not acting it. Although, I'm assuming it's possible that Sterling was the first one to get sick and spread it around. But that doesn't really explain why it's the only one with it's eggtooth on still.

However! Breathing well- no more gasping. Lying down peacefully. Pecked at some of the feed I had on the floor, took a sip but got stuff caught in it's throat and had to have it swabbed out again. For now, soundly asleep. Looks like I get too sleep after all!

Next update will come in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom