Five Eggs a day?

Day Old ChicK

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
Vicksburg, MS
I am trying to figure out the formula to get about five eggs a day (for my family of five). I know this is not precise science, but you all are pretty brilliant. I have 5 Buff Orps, 5 Barred Rocks, and 5 Light Brahmas coming in April. I won't be able to keep them all, and already have a friend to split, but I'm wondering how many to keep. I think I need to make up my mind before I get too attached. Any ideas?

I would get ten. You'll get more than 5 eggs a day at their peak of production -- some days you'll get 10 --, but if you keep your chickens a while, possibly lose one, have them over winter, eventually they'll settle about 5 or 6 a day.

I have 7 hens and consistently get 5 eggs a day -- sometimes more, but never less than 5.

I have 2 Buff Orps, 2 Black Stars, 2 Light Brahmas, and one Barred Rock. If I had to choose my favorites, I'd pick the ops and the rock. The Black Stars are less friendly, and the big brahma gals are kind of hoggish with food. Just my 2 cents worth!

i love my RIR but my EE's are the most reliable. I agree with maybe 7, in the winter time you will be down to just a couple a day possibly and the rest of the year you will ave extra to give away or sell. I get 5 nearly every day from 5 hens.

Last edited:
you will fall in love and keep them all!!!!
just keep them all... its only 15 chickens.... and not all babies live, so just because you ordered 15 doent mean you will have 15 layers.. and hatcheries are only 90% accurate in sexing them so count on 1 -2 being roosters..

OK OK.. keep 10.. that way you will have enough eggs in the winter time too....

I have a family of 5 and 5 laying hens... most days are 3-4 eggs days and about twice to thre times a week we get a 5 egg day.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll start with 9 just in case I lose a few. I think my husband would faint if I kept any more. I'm hoping that the cuteness of the little chickies will win him over.

Just another thought, the BO's will probably be your best winter layers, if you want some consistency throughout the winter as well. And they are usually very friendly.

Quote:
Oh, don't worry, he'll come around. My husband about had a fit when I decided to keep all 21 chicks last year (I had planned on selling half, then when the order came in I wanted to keep them all). Well, this year he didn't bat an eye when I ordered another 18
wink.png
. Even if they won't admit it, I think they start to enjoy them as well.

Back
Top Bottom