Five hens, one nest box?

Quote:
How funny to know mine aren't the only ones who do this!!!! I only have 4 hens in there (plus 3 duck girls) with 5 nesting boxes and 10 am is the time it all starts for the chickens. THe ducks are smart enuff to lay sometime early, early.
Kristi

WOW EGH - those are nice and large nest boxes. If mine had boxes that big all 13 would be in one at same time.

The coop that came with the old plantation home we bought already had a row of nest boxes so we left them. But I immediately thought "What size chickens fit in those little bitty boxes?" The boxes are very small, no top, and my big fat hens can barely cram their butt down in one but nevertheless I have found two in a box at time sitting on top of one another each trying to force the other to move when there are several more boxes on either side.

In the barn they will use the long troughs that are filled with hay and there will be a line of two or more chickens laying in same box but there they have plenty of room.

In the hen's mind there must be something to laying claim to a box and laying your egg there - then you crow about your victory for hours so the other hens will be jealous.

Back
Top Bottom