Five month old Cayuga having seizures

carizzma87

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 20, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a Cayuga who has started having seizures two weeks, ago, or at least that is when I started noticing. I quarantined her in the house for a week, watching her. She has them quite frequently, and is never quite right, always a bit out of it and wobbly. She hasn't been eating anything, just drinking water and will swim a little bit. Then just wanders around seeming a bit confused. I have noticed multiple seizures within an hour. At the moment I have her outside in her own pen. I am concerned because she is not eating. Any suggestions?

I have a Cayuga who has started having seizures two weeks, ago, or at least that is when I started noticing. I quarantined her in the house for a week, watching her. She has them quite frequently, and is never quite right, always a bit out of it and wobbly. She hasn't been eating anything, just drinking water and will swim a little bit. Then just wanders around seeming a bit confused. I have noticed multiple seizures within an hour. At the moment I have her outside in her own pen. I am concerned because she is not eating. Any suggestions?
What all have you tried? to get her to eat. warm water mixed into her feed just small amts at a time so you don't waste it if she won't eat it,
thawed green peas mashed and mixed into her feed,dried meal worms mixed into her feed, and poultry vitamins in her water, I like to use Poultry Nutri Drench, and it can be givien straight into the mouth. never shoot anything down the throat though to easy for it to go into the lungs, dribble right in front of inside bill a lil bit at a time,. Is your duckling crested?

And not the best way to have to come into BYC but we Welcome you.

I have only tried mixing the food with water and chopped greens. I was giving her electrolytes in the water as well. But then she sits in it and I'm not sure how much she is getting. I will try the vitamins and mealworms. She's not crested. Would crested ducks be more suscepitble to seizures? I have two Pekins who are, but they are fine so far.

I have only tried mixing the food with water and chopped greens. I was giving her electrolytes in the water as well. But then she sits in it and I'm not sure how much she is getting. I will try the vitamins and mealworms. She's not crested. Would crested ducks be more susceptible to seizures? I have two Pekins who are, but they are fine so far.
Seems that crested are more susceptible here is a link about them, but I wouldn't worry if your ducklings are acting normal and are doing everything ducky, There is really no way of knowing what maybe going on with your duckling. especially since she has only been doing this for 2 weeks, can you think of anything they may have gotten into, toxic plants or pealing paint? and it could be something she was born with and it's just now showing up, I had a duckling once that appeared normal as any and as she got closer to 4 months started going down, couldn't keep up laid down alot, we didn't take her to the vets but I really think maybe something with her heart. Hopefully with some TLC and vitamins yours will recover. Can she have a friend? they do so much better if they have a companion, and watch her around water if she had a seizure in a pool or even an open pan she could drown. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/707110/the-truth-behind-crested-ducks
and if you think there is a possiblitity she could have eaten something here is the link for toxic flushes, most use the molasses one.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited:
Thanks, for the info. Yesterday she took a change for the better. Started showing interest in food and wanting to hang with the others. She has stopped the seizures, and looks like she is getting stronger and more normal again. She must of eaten something. I don't have any poisonous plants around, or any other toxins she could of gotten into. The only thing I can think of is she might of had exposure to rat droppings in the coop.

Thanks, for the info. Yesterday she took a change for the better. Started showing interest in food and wanting to hang with the others. She has stopped the seizures, and looks like she is getting stronger and more normal again. She must of eaten something. I don't have any poisonous plants around, or any other toxins she could of gotten into. The only thing I can think of is she might of had exposure to rat droppings in the coop.
So glad to hear she is better. Hope she continues.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom