Five nesting boxes, only using one, multiple chickens in box at the same time

They had a falling out at last nite henparty. Then they kissed and made up today
Every night is SO dramatic that i cant even witness it. Rosie is such a you know what!! Every night pacing the 6 ft roost daring any of the other 4 chickens to jump up so she can push them off. Shes very controlling and not at the top of pecking. Shes a try hard tho, i give her credit. Love my chickens! BFF's 4-ever, shhhhh 🐓❤️

Rooster sings inside nest box... Do your roosters sing the song that sounds like letting the air out of a balloon, real tight so it squeaks?

All of my boys do it at night when they're perched and ready to go to sleep, but I have one rooster in particular that goes into the nest Box various times during the day, to sing his song.

The way the nest boxes are, it really is funny, like he's sound-testing the acoustics. I need to get it on a video so y'all can hear it, Honest-to-Goodness I believe this rooster thinks he's in a recording studio making an album! All the hens stand around the nest Box gazing at him, starstruck, like he's Elvis! 😆 🤣 😂

Here's a pic of him standing AT the nest box...I need to find the ones where he is IN there. So many pics of my flock on this phone...literally a few thousand lol.
20200831_180030.jpg

Last edited:
They had a falling out at last nite henparty. Then they kissed and made up today
Yup, you're probably right!

Here are "the sisters" which are quite inseparable, to this day they MUST be right next to eachother 24/7. 😆

If another hen gets between them, the brown sister whines so the gold sis bonks the intruder on the head...it is hilarious 😂

20201004_120234.jpg 20201004_120222.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, y'all. Thanks for reading this!

My seven pullets have been laying about two weeks now. They are doing great, no issues. They prefer only one nest box - all of them, the same one. To the point where they'll share the nesting box if they need to lay at the same time. I've tried different beddings and tried to mimic their ideal box to no avail.

Ideas? Just let it go and they'll figure it out? Picture attached for your amusement.
I have used the wooden looking eggs. I put one in each nesting box. They slowly have Put each box is use. I think they just need to see that there is another chicken laying eggs in that same place.

Remove the dividers from your nest boxes and let them have all of the room. They will still crowd together some, but they will not get as hot, and eggs will have a better chance of not getting broken. You can still scatter some fake eggs in other parts of the bigger nest box to encourage them to spread out.]
Why didn't I think of that?! Genius!

5 hens, 4 boxes and they all usually lay in the same nest. Even if they switch nests, they all do together, lol. These 5 have been together since day 1 and are never apart. Even while free ranging; always together. Imo, As long as they are safe, they can lay where they want. 🐓❤️

Rooster sings inside nest box... Do your roosters sing the song that sounds like letting the air out of a balloon, real tight so it squeaks?

All of my boys do it at night when they're perched and ready to go to sleep, but I have one rooster in particular that goes into the nest Box various times during the day, to sing his song.

The way the nest boxes are, it really is funny, like he's sound-testing the acoustics. I need to get it on a video so y'all can hear it, Honest-to-Goodness I believe this rooster thinks he's in a recording studio making an album! All the hens stand around the nest Box gazing at him, starstruck, like he's Elvis! 😆 🤣 😂

Here's a pic of him standing AT the nest box...I need to find the ones where he is IN there. So many pics of my flock on this phone...literally a few thousand lol.
View attachment 3229466
That noise at night is telling everyone to shhhhhshhhhhshhhh sleepy time now!

Back
Top Bottom