Five nesting boxes, only using one, multiple chickens in box at the same time

FortFusterCluck

Songster
May 4, 2022
Central Kentucky
Hey, y'all. Thanks for reading this!

My seven pullets have been laying about two weeks now. They are doing great, no issues. They prefer only one nest box - all of them, the same one. To the point where they'll share the nesting box if they need to lay at the same time. I've tried different beddings and tried to mimic their ideal box to no avail.

Ideas? Just let it go and they'll figure it out? Picture attached for your amusement.

Attachments

• 20220812_100457.jpg
    20220812_100457.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 29
Hey, y'all. Thanks for reading this!

My seven pullets have been laying about two weeks now. They are doing great, no issues. They prefer only one nest box - all of them, the same one. To the point where they'll share the nesting box if they need to lay at the same time. I've tried different beddings and tried to mimic their ideal box to no avail.

Ideas? Just let it go and they'll figure it out? Picture attached for your amusement.
Thats just the way things are. Chickens almost always favor one or a few boxes over the rest, even if they are all the same. You could try putting golf balls or other kinds of fake eggs in the less-used boxes to make them more attractive.

They had a falling out at last nite henparty. Then they kissed and made up today
Yup, you're probably right!

Here are "the sisters" which are quite inseparable, to this day they MUST be right next to eachother 24/7. 😆

If another hen gets between them, the brown sister whines so the gold sis bonks the intruder on the head...it is hilarious 😂

20201004_120234.jpg 20201004_120222.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom