Eggs sat in wet nest box- are they bad?

A_A_613

Hatching
Feb 20, 2024
Hey guys! I’ve had my chickens for just a little less than a year. I have 4 large hens and a silkie :) all my hens lay in the same nesting box. I change all their nest bedding and all the other pine shavings (under their perch) at the same time. Usually clean out every 2 weeks.
I hadn’t checked the nesting boxes for about a week and went to grab all the eggs (about 30 or so) and more than half of them had been sitting in wet shavings for just about that whole week. Did I ruin the eggs? I would hate to throw them away!!

Please help!!

are they cracked? do you plan to hatch them? if you've got a rooster and want to hatch, you should wait for the next eggs. if they are just for eating, wash them carefully and store in the fridge, do not eat if they are cracked.

@everyone
The coop is water tight, it almost seems like their poop is causing the eggs to be wet?
They have poop on them, and also probably dirt mixed in. Due to their environment, the intense rain we had over winter in the PNW caused their run to be constantly wet until we raised their run with river rocks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 1
The coop is water tight, it almost seems like their poop is causing the eggs to be wet?
They have poop on them, and also probably dirt mixed in. Due to their environment, the intense rain we had over winter in the PNW caused their run to be constantly wet until we raised their run with river rocks.
The nests are in the coop, correct?

Are they sleeping in the nests, do you know? Or is poop getting tracked in because there's not enough dry bedding for them to wipe off their feet on?

Even with flooding I never had an issue with enough water being tracked inside the coop (and nests) to cause the nests to get wet, but if very wet birds are sleeping in them and pooping in them I suppose that could be possible...

Regardless, best to make it a habit of collecting eggs daily, and checking that the nests stay clean and poop free and not slept in, then there shouldn't be an issue regardless of how wet it gets outside.

Back
Top Bottom