1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

five week olds....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ktown55, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ktown55

ktown55 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Hi everyone,,,What can i feed my 5 wk old ( almost 6 wks ) chicks other then the starter feed? I've tried eggs, and they seem not to like it.
    I was thinking about giving them a small amount of lettuce.. Not tried yogert yet..Any other ideas? And when can i put them out side? there
    in the back room and it stays about 68 to 70 in there..And of course we're still in winter,Here lately it's been in the mid 50's..But there talking
    it's going to turn off cold again..I only have the one coop,there for i'd have to put them in cages out side..What should i do? Just keep them
    inside till it warms up? And whats wrong with everyone?? Not telling me just how FAST chicks grow?? LOL Just kidding.....Thanks for your help.
    Mitch [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They would have been outside 3 weeks ago if they were mine!

Mine go in my chicken tractor at 2-3 weeks of age. They still have the heat lamp of course though.

By 6 weeks they will be fine if they have a coop to go into to keep warm and dry and a lamp in there just in case they get chilled.
    They will probably be happy out in the outside temperature during the daytime though and only go under the lamp occasionally.
    You'll find that putting them out on grass will noticeably reduce their feed consumption [​IMG]

ETA: A page about my chicken tractor: it does a great job of growing chicks up to adult size!!!! I'm so glad I built it! https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=27985-chicken-tractor

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  3. ktown55

ktown55 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Thank you Tala for the info. I Liked the tractor idea...might just have to do that if i can fine a dog
    house soon...what about me feeding them something other then the starter feed? is it ok to feed them lettuce?
    Thanks again...... [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't try lettuce like iceburg lettuce; it's mostly water.
    When you first introduce a new food you have to leave it in there with them for awhile, till they get over their fear of a new thing. Most chicks adore scrambled or hard boiled eggs and it's good for them.
    If they absolutely refuse to eat the egg after you've given them a chance to get used to it, try some plain non-fat yogurt.
    It helps to offer new foods in the same bowl every time. They'll learn to recognize that bowl as having good things to eat in it.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Also, if you feed anything besides starter in the brooder get them some chick sized grit from the feed store.

If they are out on the yard they will find their own (sand, small gravel)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by