Five week Ranger update, this time with pics

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
Now that they're Officially Ranging, as soon as they see me, they come tearing out full speed.

new+birds+at+5+weeks+015.JPG

That enthusiasm extends to the end of the visit too, when they try to follow me home.

new+birds+at+5+weeks+113.JPG

Plumping up NICELY!!!

new+birds+at+5+weeks+019.JPG

new+birds+at+5+weeks+090.JPG

my chickens were free ranging for a couple weeks till my neighbor complained, now I have to keep them penned up, I know what you mean. When they see me open the coop door its a race to close it.

Nice looking birds.

They look like great birds! Are Freedom Rangers still available, though? When I went to their site to look into buying some based on what I'd read in your threads, the site said they were closing down.
sad.png

yummy yummy yummy!

we were thinking of doing two sets of 50 next year, but it looks like we're going to do three sets of a hundred each!!!

we just traded 242 pounds of pork for equal in chicken, turkey-or whatever fowl i raise!
now, the same friend called and they are butchering some young cows. same deal. pound for pound! and they have another pig...looks like i will be raising lots of poultry next spring.

my friend has pigs and cows. she went to my homeopathic doc and she had high levels of pork parasites in her (which isn't odd, we transfer easily from pig-human, human-pig) so she decided she wasn't eating pork any more!

she had it processed and the hams and bacon smoked, delivered it and everything! i sent her home with 10 chickens i processed myself and owe her about 50 more. i can 'pay' her as i raise them.

so, she is going to raise pigs and cows for me, and i will do poultry for her. how cool is that???

we have a horse run in that has three huge stalls. converting one stall for a milk cow and two stalls for the freedom rangers, or as my husband calls them 'The Children of Israel'!

i'm just uber blessed!

Sandra, when did you get your chickens? Last time we chatted you hadn't decided what you wanted. What a beautiful place you have. From your Other (distant) Cousin (I think? Jack would know the relation) His Mother and my Grandmother were first cousins - their fathers were brothers. I still find it amazing that with all the people in the world and all the people on BYC you can accidentally find a reletive though we have never ever met.

Quote:
I ordered them and had them arrive shortly after I did. Those are the meat birds, of course. The layers are still cute and fuzzy.

What a beautiful place you have.

Ahhh, I wish it was mine, but we rent. Thanks, though!

From your Other (distant) Cousin (I think? Jack would know the relation) His Mother and my Grandmother were first cousins - their fathers were brothers. I still find it amazing that with all the people in the world and all the people on BYC you can accidentally find a reletive though we have never ever met.

I know, it's pretty cool! Do you ever make it down this way? I'm Ulster county, Jack's in Dutchess.​

Quote:
That is RATHER cool.

two stalls for the freedom rangers, or as my husband calls them 'The Children of Israel'!

i'm just uber blessed!

Sitting here scratching my head. My instinct is pretty good, usually, and it's telling me I shouldn't be offended... but I don't understand... Chickens are like Jews how?​

Back
Top Bottom