five year old threw chicken-help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Handyhens, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Handyhens

Handyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    My five year old brother picked up Gloria, our red sex link by the legs and threw her! She is in the coop and does not seem to be in pain, but she is just standing there, please help

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Are we talking about an adult bird? If so I doubt a 5 year old could toss her hard, far or with enough force to cause any harm unless the bird was thrown at a wall or into something or whacked against something...

They are birds after all and although they can't fly real well most can flutter just fine and thus not really 'fall' when thrown...

3. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    Gloria is 4 months old and is pretty small, and I did not see her fly at all, I passed the back door when he did it

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

4 months is plenty feathered out to flutter down if tossed. especially form a 5 year old...

IMO you are worrying about nothing unless there is obvious signs of injury or you saw he bird actually impact something hard...

5. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    If she isn't physically hurt, maybe she's somewhat traumatized by being treated that way. Did your brother say why he did it? Hope your girl is ok.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    How is Gloria doing? It sounds like you might need to sit down with your parents and brother and discuss the proper treatment and respect of animals.

7. Handyhens

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    She is doing great! We made sure he won't do it again. Sorry I did not respond earlier, I was on a trip. She made us coming home gifts though,
    [​IMG]

Our first eggs!

8. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nice eggs! Glad to hear everything is ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by