Fixing gaps in flooring?

I see how those cuts posed some issues.
The easiest way to cover them is using 1x2's or 1x3's and laying those snug to the walls. The bummer is it creates a ridge to have to clean along.

Thanks! I figured this would be the best option, despite the trade off you mentioned. I have lots of scrap that will do the trick. I can definitely see that the method you describe is better for the future!

I'm guessing those gaps sit above framing, so likely aren't open to the outside at all? The only concern from them is that chicken droppings, moisture, etc might accumulate there over time - like dirt in the corners of a garage - till it starts to rot the plywood out from the cut edges. If you painted your cut edges, you won't even have that concern for many years to come.

Otherwise, anything can be used to fill or cover - paint, caulk, flashing, trim - just consider what those materials will be exposed to and choose accordingly.

There is a run under the coop in this area, so it is open underneath. One of the areas is exposed, while another is over a part of the framing. Agree that we have lots of ideas for the next one and this one isn't even finished yet!

Thanks! I figured this would be the best option, despite the trade off you mentioned. I have lots of scrap that will do the trick. I can definitely see that the method you describe is better for the future!

There is a run under the coop in this area, so it is open underneath. One of the areas is exposed, while another is over a part of the framing. Agree that we have lots of ideas for the next one and this one isn't even finished yet!

:hugs Trust me, I have made more than a few oopses that had me learning new sailor quality words too.

Over the years I also learned I much prefer a walk in coop. I do still have a raised coop though.....limited materials and needing to house just 3 bantams in it it's not so bad.

Is run secure from predators?

I think so. It is enclosed with hardware cloth all around anchored with washers, and has a floor of hardware cloth that extends a few inches beyond each wall. The hardware cloth floor is also surrounded by bricks and anchored with earth staples. All gate latches are twist hasps that will be closed with carabiners.

Back
Top Bottom