Fixing gaps in flooring?

Nov 7, 2020
Chicago
We are almost done building our first coop and we've run into one problem that has us a bit stumped. The floor in the coop is over a portion of the run. Our cutting skills fell short and our floor isn't quite square. I was planning to caulk all the edges, but some of the worse areas have gaps of an inch or so. I'm worried about drafts and critters.

I was considering a few options to address this:
  • Recut the floor, but I think we'd have the same issue
  • Mount trim around the bottom of the floor on all sides to cover the gaps
  • Caulk, but would need to use backer rod or something else for the larger gaps
Any recommendations or suggestions?

Is run secure from predators?

I think so. It is enclosed with hardware cloth all around anchored with washers, and has a floor of hardware cloth that extends a few inches beyond each wall. The hardware cloth floor is also surrounded by bricks and anchored with earth staples. All gate latches are twist hasps that will be closed with carabiners.

Here are some. The coop itself is smaller (about 4x4) and elevated so it was hard for me to get a good angle, but I hope these help.

I'd like to fix them both for the overall finished look as well as addressing any other possible concerns.

I see how those cuts posed some issues.
The easiest way to cover them is using 1x2's or 1x3's and laying those snug to the walls. The bummer is it creates a ridge to have to clean along.

We all end up building a "second" coop eventually. When you do that......build a floor frame and lay the square or rectangle of plywood on top then add legs if making a raised coop. Then the walls get added on top of that platform. It eliminates those tricky cuts.

I'm unsure why you even care, honestly. There's a 4' x 4' hole in my hen house floor - its formed in a "U" around a central shaft over a "downstairs" for the ducks.

As a floor, its unlikely to be a significant draft source. If the gaps are close to the edge, they aren't going to catch toes there. But if it bothers you, grabs some dirt cheap roll linoleum and slap it down, bringing it up the sides a bit. Will make it very easy to clean out the coop in the future, until it starts to get brittle in the corners.

If that's more than what you want to spend, don't use trim. That $#!+ is expensive, and usually made from untreated white wood, prone to splitting and rot. Use flashing instead, either aluminum or vinyl, and just tack it up. Much cheaper, and designed for the environment.

If you DO use metal flashing, wear gloves, the edges can be razor sharp.

I don't think drafts will be much of an issue, however rodents will certainly take advantage of that to gain entry to the coop. And if they feel like the gap should be enlarged they will do some remodeling for you. I'd close the gaps for that reason alone.

I definitely don't want any more friends in my coop than the ones I built it for!

I see how those cuts posed some issues.
The easiest way to cover them is using 1x2's or 1x3's and laying those snug to the walls. The bummer is it creates a ridge to have to clean along.

Thanks! I figured this would be the best option, despite the trade off you mentioned. I have lots of scrap that will do the trick. I can definitely see that the method you describe is better for the future!

I'm guessing those gaps sit above framing, so likely aren't open to the outside at all? The only concern from them is that chicken droppings, moisture, etc might accumulate there over time - like dirt in the corners of a garage - till it starts to rot the plywood out from the cut edges. If you painted your cut edges, you won't even have that concern for many years to come.

Otherwise, anything can be used to fill or cover - paint, caulk, flashing, trim - just consider what those materials will be exposed to and choose accordingly.

There is a run under the coop in this area, so it is open underneath. One of the areas is exposed, while another is over a part of the framing. Agree that we have lots of ideas for the next one and this one isn't even finished yet!

Thanks! I figured this would be the best option, despite the trade off you mentioned. I have lots of scrap that will do the trick. I can definitely see that the method you describe is better for the future!

There is a run under the coop in this area, so it is open underneath. One of the areas is exposed, while another is over a part of the framing. Agree that we have lots of ideas for the next one and this one isn't even finished yet!

:hugs Trust me, I have made more than a few oopses that had me learning new sailor quality words too.

Over the years I also learned I much prefer a walk in coop. I do still have a raised coop though.....limited materials and needing to house just 3 bantams in it it's not so bad.

I'm unsure why you even care, honestly. There's a 4' x 4' hole in my hen house floor - its formed in a "U" around a central shaft over a "downstairs" for the ducks.

As a floor, its unlikely to be a significant draft source. If the gaps are close to the edge, they aren't going to catch toes there.

I'm concerned about our winter temps and the bigger gaps being an issue in the climate. Maybe it isn't one. You already mentioned issues of getting toes stuck, but one of the largest gaps is just inside the door.

I do have some extra linoleum, so that is an option I hadn't thought of. We'd paint or seal any wood trim we add to help with durability, and likely use furring strips or similar not actual trim. Flashing could def be a good option. Thanks!

I don't think drafts will be much of an issue, however rodents will certainly take advantage of that to gain entry to the coop. And if they feel like the gap should be enlarged they will do some remodeling for you. I'd close the gaps for that reason alone.

Back
Top Bottom