fixing styrofoam...

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
I know, how cheap am I? but here's the thing... I pulled out an old incubator that had set on a shelf since last july, and a mouse chewed a tunnel along the bottom with a hole leading into the inside. Tunnel is about eight inches, mouse sized. I can just put the plastic tray in the bottom and it will hold water okay... I could just set the bator on a folded towel and I'd guess it would hold temps okay... I got eggs coming from ebay and don't have time to order a bottom before the eggs will get here, probably Mon/Tuesday. As it is I am late getting this bator cleaned up and sterilized. It will probably still smell like faint bleach when the eggs get here. I wonder if home depot has any spray foam insulation goo stuff I could spray on the bottom and just set it on a piece of glass to set up if that would work. Has anyone here ever successfully fixed a damaged styrofoam incubator?

I dont do incubator repairs lol but I am a DIYer BIGTIME! I think you are on the right page with the sprayfoam. Once it hardens, you can cut/sand it level with the bator wall.

I would try spray foam insulation on this.........If you had time to do a set up after the foam insulation, you can buy fiberglass sealer for tubs there and you could put it outside not next to wher the chicks would hatch. I wish I were nearby, I would gladly loan you an incubator.....I've never repaired one....Bad ole rat!

Is anyone in the sound of my voice near this BYC'er that could help her!!!

Happy New Year:)

DUCT TAPE!!! who needs foam?? I bet duct tape and just pack that tunnel with cotton or something, and duct tape the bottom... NOW yer talkin' my language...

I would be a little hesitant to use the spray foam unless you had a week or so for it to cure. I'm not sure what kinds of chemicals are released from that as it cures. I think a couple layers of duct tape and some cotton batting like onthespot says may be the quickest and safest answer.

NO SPRAY FOAM.... This stuff has poisonous fumes. Find a piece of styrofoam from the packaging of some form of electrionics. Cut a piece to fit and duct tape in place.

I have repaired cracks/holes in styrobators with Amazing Goop (plumbing formula). It works well and had no effect on the chicks that hatched in the bators, even if I used it the same day they were set. It's available in most hardware stores. Once you have a tube of this stuff, you will use it for everything. Every bit as versatile as duct tape, and then some.

Make sure you put the duct tape on the outside, not the inside of the bator. Heat and moisture are death to duct tape. If it doesn't work, my 2nd favorite tape is electrical tape. It doesn't like moisture either, but is fine with a bit of heat.

Back
Top Bottom