Fixing Up a Pre-Fab Coop

Headed to Home Depot now for supplies. I'm sure this gap, created by the original owners to support the watering system, isn't good. How can I patch this while keeping the hose in?
IMG_20190815_123859.jpg

How can I patch this while keeping the hose in?
Cut another piece of 1/2" HC, bigger than the hole, for a patch.
Leave wires sticking out on two sides of patch to bend around wires of existing mesh.
3rd side of patch would be left smooth, 4th side stapled/screwed to wood frame.
Hope that makes sense.
upload_2019-8-15_16-21-44.png

I'd patch it with more HWC but I admit I don't plan things out :), I'd just cut it bigger than the patch area and sort of mold it around the hose and then attach to the existing HWC once you see it's pretty well covered.

You will want to reinforce the hardware cloth on the inside with fender washers and screws. Raccoons can easily push through those staples. If you are going to put it in the yard, you will need to level a spot first. I also recommend staking it down so it can't be pushed over. Those kid locks could be easily broken by a raccoon, my old dog used to break kid locks on a regular basis. I use a hasp and lock on mine. I don't put anything past those wily raccoons. I had my prefab coop up on cinderblock with hardware cloth underneath that, and the coop staked so it couldn't be pushed off the cinderblock. That formed a well that I filled with shavings and leaves, about 5 inches deep. I had my girls in that for 1 1/2 years, with no foot problems. They did all their digging in the yard. More ventilation is always good, but you don't get so hot in Oakland that it is critical, as long as there is shade over the coop in the hot hours. Especially over the nest box. I put a patio umbrella over mine and that worked pretty well, until I put up a large shade canopy for their run last summer.

Hi Tara welcome to the hobby. A. Yes on the roost, they like it and helps deter bugs, mites, and predators. B. For the latch, I've never seen a coon open a latched slide bolt, but I wouldn't put anything past them. If you are worried you can put a hasp and use a lynch pin, or even put a padlock if neighbor kids or anything become a problem. C. The hardware cloth on the bottom is excellent as it would about anything out, the only draw back, some chickens may tear their feet up on it, I mean it ain't gonna kill them. It depends on the bird, some are just really tenacious. Keep the bedding at least a few inches deep on top. You can always bury the wire vertically around the perimeter and staple it to the coup, 1 foot deep is usually plenty enough. D Best bedding for the nests, cheap, they're gonna poop in it. Straw works fine, raw wool is great, quilt batting, stuffing from an old deck chair cushion. You're asking really good questions and putting in effort, you'll do great.

Thanks all! I got everything I need from Home Depot today (sand, multiple hasp locks and twist caribeaners, screws and washers for reinforcing the staples, a 2x2 for a roost and a support bar for my litter tray).

And I can easily cut some of my existing ground cover cloth to patch the hole. :) Thank you!!

Bumping my existing thread so I don't have to start another. Our two adopted hens have settled in nicely! We know we have nighttime visitors because there are muddy paws all over their food storage bin come morning but everyone/thing has been secure.

I'm currently working from home so I've been letting them free range under supervision sometimes but we need a run. Has anyone had experience using a frame like this and then adding hardware cloth over all of it? If so, would you fasten the hardware cloth with zip ties since the structure is metal?

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Camel-Greenhouse-Replacement-Vegetables/

The reviews show someone did turn this into a run but they used chicken wire which I think is easier to manipulate and we want something more predator proof.

Might work. Wonder what diameter the tubing is?
Probably need to use 6' wide 2x4 fencing to span the 5' spacing of hoops, then HC.
HC doesn't come in 6' widths(generally).
You'd need to cover ends too, one with a door for you....
.... the other with attachment to coop, or will you put coop right inside?
Take a look at my run and hoop coop builds for some ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/

Back
Top Bottom