Flag at half staff for Whitney Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamagardener

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Central Massachussetts
The governor of New Jersey has ordered flag flown at half staff to honor Whitney Houston. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this? I always thought it was for purposes to honor sacrifice or people who have done good things for their community or country, not a celebrity.

I totally agree w/ you! I think it is ridiculous.

Last edited:
This is nuts, and a slap in the face to all whom really deserve this respect. Where do we draw the line? Who qualifies now? Who doesn't? If someone looses their life in fighting a war, they may not 'make it'? Or those whom wear a badge to keep us safe? Firefighters? How about all the unsung heroes of everyday life whom refuse to buckle under the weight of responsiblities to raise children? How about teachers, nurses whom work double shifts? Instead, here we are, a woman who's talent was entertaining, who, like the rest of us, chose the life she did. Now all her family has is memories.

Whitney Houston has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars for charities through the years mainly for children with aids and cancer. She donated $110,000 to a pediatric hospital in Newark, proceeds from the National Anthem in 1991 went to the Gulf War soldiers and their families, again in 2001 after 9/11 she re-released with the proceeds donated to the fire fighters of New York , she donated to the Mother Hale House in Harlem, donated 2 Lion cubs to the Bronx Zoo. All proceeds from the Premiere of the Body Guard went to a childrens aids charity. When she married Bobby Brown, she requested that all gifts be waived and to donate to a charity for children.

She could have kept every penny for herself.

I'm sure I could come up with more that she has done not only for her own communtiy but across the country. Hats off to the Governor for allowing her a moment. Celebrities have the means, power, and money to do far more than we ever could. Thanks to them for being generous with their money.

Sean Penn went to Haiti 2 years ago to volunteer for 2 weeks after the earthquake. He is still there, living in a rented house shared by many (his bedroom is 5 ft by 10 ft) he sleeps on a cot. He manages a tent village there and has helped 50,000 homeless people transition to new homes. He has 20,000 more to get in permanent homes. What a grand thing to be able to do ... to have the time and the money to be able to afford to leave a life here and go help these people.

Last edited:
It's true, she could have. But many famous people donate to charities...their life isn't exactly made heroic by that fact. When you have billions of dollars, to donate millions doesn't hurt much. It can be good PR and keep your name in the papers but it doesn't necessarily make your life honorable. A drug addicted singer isn't quite on the same par as men and women who sacrifice their very lives for their country and their fellow men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom