Flank Steak help

sune42

Songster
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Northern Kentucky
I am having my father over on Sunday and have about 3lbs of flank steak to cook. I am feeding 6 people and my kids. We are having baked potatoes and my sister is making some sort of corn pudding. I have never head of it before but it sounds good.

Now, I know the steak needs to marinate, but I don't know in what. Also, is it ok to put these on the grill to cook?

So I need marinade recipes and to know if I can put the steaks on the grill.

TIA
Amanda

Flank steak is fine on the grill.
I hope you like it MR at most, well-done flank steak should be illegal and will be shoeleather!

Marinate in anything you like - you need an acid ingredient to help break down the meat fibers - lemon juice, vinegar, mustard for instance
Flavoring can be anything you like - garlic, herbs, salt, pepper

I like to do a teriyaki-like marinade: orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce & chopped garlic

Marinate for at least 1/2 hour and no longer than a couple hours or the meat will be mushy.
And remember to slice it thinly - 1/2" at most - & across the grain - flank steak has a very obvious grain so this is the easy part.

Or you could do a rub - try this:

2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons chili powder (as mild or spicy as you like)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
1/4 cup cider vinegar (or you can red wine vinegar)

Rinse meat and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper and pat in. Stir ingredients and mash the rub/paste in and let sit overnight or all day. Watch carefully as you grill, as the sugar will make it burn if it flares up.

I also frequently add soy sauce to this, and sometimes a bit of dark rum or bourbon.

Or:

2 limes, juiced + zest
1/4 cup tequila
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 - 1" long piece of ginger, peeled and sliced very thin
2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed

Marinate several hours (not longer or the citrus will turn the meat to mush). I often make a satay (peanut sauce) to go with this. I also use this as a chicken marinade for kebobs.

Oh honey, you just triggered all of my tastebuds!

Marinate, start 4-6 hours ahead -

1 cup ketchup/catsup
1cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbs. oil- I use canola

I will even go so far as to poke tiny holes in the steak to really get it inside. No, the steak doesn't lose all it's juices that way. Cover with PLASTIC and refrigerate.

Grill over a VERY hot charcoal/wood fire until interior temp reads almost 120F. You're looking for a rare to medium rare inside and an almost charred outside.

Cover with foil, let rest 15-20 minutes. Slice thinly, across the grain and at a slightly sideways angle.

I have converted vegetarians with this easy way of grilling.
big_smile.png

I was a Texan when I started grilling, now I'm a lost Texan.

Last edited:
I have used the recipe a time or two.

Remember

Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
Flank steak is a lean, somewhat tough but flavorful cut of beef that benefits from the tenderizing effects of a marinade. It is best cooked medium rare and thinly sliced at an angle. It actually could be sliced even more at a diagonal than what I've shown here in the photo. My father is the real expert around here at making beautiful thin slices, not I.
Prepared this way, marinated, cooked quickly at high heat, thinly sliced, flank steak practically melts in your mouth. This recipe calls for grilling the steak, but if you don't have a grill, you can prepare the steak on a large cast iron frying pan as well. I recently updated the marinade recipe based on a few suggestions from our readers. Thank you! There are more marinade ideas in the links to other food blogs at the bottom of the recipe. For more Southwestern flavors, see our carne asada recipe. Do you have a favorite flank steak marinade? or grilling trick for flank steak? If so, please let us know in the comments.
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak Recipe
Ingredients
Marinade Ingredients
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Other ingredients
2 pounds flank steak
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Method
1 Score the surface of the steak with 1/4 inch deep knife cuts, about an inch apart, across the grain of the meat. Combine the marinade ingredients. Place steak and marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag. Coat the steak well with the marinade. Seal the bag and place in a bowl. Chill and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
2 Using olive oil soaked onto a paper towel, coat the grill rack of your grill with olive oil. Preheat the grill with high, direct heat. The grill is hot enough when you hold your hand about an inch over it and you can only hold it there for about a second.
3 Take the steak out of the marinade bag and sprinkle generously on all sides with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. The salt and pepper will help form a savory crust on the steak. Place steak on the hot grill. If you are using a gas grill, cover the grill. Grill for 4-6 minutes on each side. Half way through grilling on each side, turn the steak 90° so that you get more grill marks.
4 Flank steak is best eaten medium rare; well done will make it too tough. When the steak has cooked to your preferred level of doneness, remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil to hold in the heat and to keep the steak from drying out, and let rest for 10 minutes.
5 Make very thin slices, against the grain, and at a slight diagonal so that the slices are wide.
If you want, you can take the excess marinade and bring it to a boil, simmer for several minutes, and serve with the flank steak.

for stove top: I marinate in Worcestershire, mustard, and oil using same amount of each, salt and pepper. Keeping at room temperature for about 30 to 45 minutes. put oil in your frying pan, heat oil till sizzles. place steak in pan you may have to cut in half , fry for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, don't move or check steak during cooking -- you want it to have an even crust.

Quote:
I wanted to tell ya I made this one for the marinade, cause it was the only one where I had everything on hand for it. I didn't score the steaks, and think it was ok without it. I also forgot the salt and pepper on the steak before grilling and I wish I didn't. Although the steak was eaten up, I noticed the lack of salt.

Doh! ETA It was very good!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom