Flarry eye grey

Pics
I can try, they are in a plastic bin as their brooder because I want to keep them inside.
Is there a way I can make it outside the brooder?
What I have been doing it setting up a table a few feet away from brooder. Then I reward chicks for coming to me when called by giving them a meal worm. As training progresses they are expected to go farther or do more to get the reward. You are likely to see they want a bigger reward to go farther. I try to get them to go from brooder to that table. At first the birds may walk along a ruler or make a series of hops. Then I push for more direct flights. Mine eventually get to point where they fly 20 feet across the room.

Well I would not ever do any fighting with any animal if that’s the type of competition you mean. If I really wanted to I could show them if they are show birds at all.
I think the Flarry-eyed Grays represent a color variety you can actually show. I have zero birds good for that now, yet I still take them to make the judges practice their D's and Q's.

Tomorrow I am taking a couple pullets to our state meeting. They will promote a mild chuckle because immature or do not represent a manly coloration currently in vogue.

Mine have some Flarry-eyed Gray in their background as that is the likely source of the gray and toppy alleles one of my lines has in it. Otherwise, they have very little in them. Flarry-eyed grays are one of many strains that come gray at least part of time. The percentage of strains with toppy is lower. The alternative gray toppy here is refereed to as the Kansas City Toppy that may or may not be related to Flary-eyed Grays. I am not up on the history and their is likely an accuracy issue when it comes to composition of actual bloodlines.

I would try to not get overly hung up on strains at this time. It can be a selling point that is purposely inaccurate as a method to secure a sale.
Correction, mine are reputed to have Kansas City Toppy in their background with somebodies name attached. The name attached was immediate owner prior to party I got my crossed pullets from. All I have to go by is what is said and what birds look like. See the lack of confidence one can have. That said, they are of working stock where color was not a major factor in their development or selection.

I have seen my neighbors game fly at least 40 feet, I was amazed! I am definitely going to train them to come, and fly to their names, Attack has been flying around a lot so I think she will do the best.

I have seen my neighbors game fly at least 40 feet, I was amazed! I am definitely going to train them to come, and fly to their names, Attack has been flying around a lot so I think she will do the best.
They can do way better than 40 feet. Mine fly 100 just to burnoff steam. They will fly more than twice that far to avoid exposure in open field. I have had them fly several hundred feet when startled. There is a conditioning issue that must be taken into account. Generally, birds maintained in a cockyard setting do not exhibit their full flight potential. I am seeing that now where most of mine are kept in pens.

Oh wow that’s amazing!!! Mine is really tiny but flying pretty good for her age, I can’t wait to see what she can do when she’s older.

One of mine loves to fly (The light one) the other two don’t. That’s amazing that they can fly so far! I ordered 2,000 live mealworms so I can’t wait till they get here.
image.jpg

So cute! LOL

You working on those pens/some separate housing?
Even if they end up not being "game" it's a very good idea to have at least one spare pen or a place for separation. A spare pen (or two) comes in handy for a number of reasons - one is sick, injured, broody breaking, you want to monitor them, etc.
I don't have Flarry Eyed Greys, but do have gamefowl. Current chicks are only 8 weeks (let that timeline sink in). I had to separate one out already. Once they start to rumble they don't like to stop. He's back with the others right now after a cooling off period but that won't last too much longer.
No one is perfect and we make mistakes, but I can't stress how important it is to have a plan for separation. It doesn't have to be fancy, just somewhere secure.

Back
Top Bottom