Flash freeze prediction tonight... Do I heat? or not?

Ha we did the chores in record time on Christmas Day. Because we couldn't open presents until they were done. LOL. Did you know lambs are born with long tails? And we docked our own. We had a very thick green rubber band about the size and shape of a cheerio. We had a bullet like thingy that we slid the band over. Then we screwed off the pointy part and had a metal tube like a paper towel tube then you slipped the tail into the tube and slowly pushed the band toward the end of the tail where it attaches to the butt. Don't put right up against it's body. Leave a short tail And that cut off the circulation and eventually the tail fell off. And that was my job to collect tails. LOL Not really.

Oh my!! Well then running out to the coop in your slippers, in the dead of winter - is nothin' - compared to small rubber banding baby lamb tails!!! Strong woman! That's awesome... except for collecting the tails... YIKES! haha! I'd hate to draw the short straw on THAT one!

Ha we did the chores in record time on Christmas Day. Because we couldn't open presents until they were done. LOL. Did you know lambs are born with long tails? And we docked our own. We had a very thick green rubber band about the size and shape of a cheerio. We had a bullet like thingy that we slid the band over. Then we screwed off the pointy part and had a metal tube like a paper towel tube then you slipped the tail into the tube and slowly pushed the band toward the end of the tail where it attaches to the butt. Don't put right up against it's body. Leave a short tail And that cut off the circulation and eventually the tail fell off. And that was my job to collect tails. LOL Not really.
Wether makers. We put them on male gonad sacks. I use them to close fish transport bags. We docked tails with a sharp knife.

Oh my!! Well then running out to the coop in your slippers, in the dead of winter - is nothin' - compared to small rubber banding baby lamb tails!!! Strong woman! That's awesome... except for collecting the tails... YIKES! haha! I'd hate to draw the short straw on THAT one!
When I was in college in the last century ('68 yes I grew up in the '60's and I DO remember it) I came home to my sister's house and baby sat the lambs. Ha they were lambing. So I had to go out every few hours to check on them Every time there would be more lambs. Geeez My sister, 4 kids, and BIL went off to a cabin to snow mobile for the week. Schoo break.BUT they didn't tell me they had sheep in the old broken down mostly wall less chicken coop. And so most of them died. I would like to have sheep now but I don't have quite enough room for them. Only about 2 acres here. A lot taken up by my driveway, part steep hill, and 2 car garage concrete pad. So I'll stick with chickens. BTW it hasn't been over 5F today. And I've gotta my quota 4 Eggs. I only have 4 chickens. My BO and ISAB usually lay over night. SLW whenever...... But today at 0800 I had a very warm SLW egg. Pullets and laying small eggs. Then late morning my ISAB laid she always has a nub of calcium on her egg. Early this after the BO laid BIG egg 68grams. Then I just went out ( I had been out at noon time) to check water. Not frozen and there was another a SLW egg. Kinda cool but not frozen. So that's the saga for the cold in Maine. LOL Weather says it's -11F with the wind chill. Ha the trees are totally still No wind in my back yard.

Wether makers. We put them on male gonad sacks. I use them to close fish transport bags. We docked tails with a sharp knife.
I wondered if those bands were still around and they are. Ha my BIL fainted at the sight of blood. Although he used an axe quite well with the broilers. I hated when that guy came an dehorned the cows with all that blood running down their faces and into the hay they were eating. Cruel IMHO I never could understand why a Holstein couldn't keep her horns.

When I was in college in the last century ('68 yes I grew up in the '60's and I DO remember it) I came home to my sister's house and baby sat the lambs. Ha they were lambing. So I had to go out every few hours to check on them Every time there would be more lambs. Geeez My sister, 4 kids, and BIL went off to a cabin to snow mobile for the week. Schoo break.BUT they didn't tell me they had sheep in the old broken down mostly wall less chicken coop. And so most of them died. I would like to have sheep now but I don't have quite enough room for them. Only about 2 acres here. A lot taken up by my driveway, part steep hill, and 2 car garage concrete pad. So I'll stick with chickens. BTW it hasn't been over 5F today. And I've gotta my quota 4 Eggs. I only have 4 chickens. My BO and ISAB usually lay over night. SLW whenever...... But today at 0800 I had a very warm SLW egg. Pullets and laying small eggs. Then late morning my ISAB laid she always has a nub of calcium on her egg. Early this after the BO laid BIG egg 68grams. Then I just went out ( I had been out at noon time) to check water. Not frozen and there was another a SLW egg. Kinda cool but not frozen. So that's the saga for the cold in Maine. LOL Weather says it's -11F with the wind chill. Ha the trees are totally still No wind in my back yard.

Sounds like a wonderful (except for the poor lambs in the wall-less chicken coop!) Aww! You should write a book!!! Seriously! I've never thought to weigh an egg... but I think I'll start! I can kinda tell who lays what egg... and the Australorps are always a bit more taupe than the Reds... but hard to tell sometimes. Wait... I know SLW and BO... what's ISAB?

Sounds like a wonderful (except for the poor lambs in the wall-less chicken coop!) Aww! You should write a book!!! Seriously! I've never thought to weigh an egg... but I think I'll start! I can kinda tell who lays what egg... and the Australorps are always a bit more taupe than the Reds... but hard to tell sometimes. Wait... I know SLW and BO... what's ISAB?
ISABrown. I don't think it's a true breed but I really don't know. She's the one that got attacked by a dog last year before I got her. She has a fairly large area on the back top of her neck. Maybe small orange size in diameter. But doesn't seem to bother her. And the dog got one tip on the very back of her comb. She's the top hen. I was surprised. She's the smallest hen I have. She doesn't peck the BO because they were brought up together but she does peck the SLW and I've noticed a couple of times now they have put her in her place by lightly pecking right back. The coolest thing I've seen is one of my SLW, Louise ( the other is Thelma sorry) preening my BO. She will take a feather in her beak and run her beak to the end of the feather and then get another one. My BO isn't bothered by that. And then one night when I went to put them to bed There was Black, Orange, Black all snuggled on the roost. So cute.

Off-topic-ish
I have yet to experience a drop from 49 F with high humidity to -11 F overnight. A remember teaching an animal science class where we spent time discussing such an event that killed 100's of cattle in the Dakotas or a neighboring state.

That was quite a blizzard, in the fall. Here in the Dakota's, while we don't put cattle in barns, we move them into winter country, with natural or man made shelter from the wind. That Atlas storm was a freak blizzard dropping feet of snow and high winds in the fall before cattle had been moved, cattle drifted over fences for miles. It truly was a horrible storm, and yes the wildlife suffered too.

You are right, mother nature can be a dangerous bi$%%.

I just found a dead Blue Jay that passed with last weeks storm. It may have had health issues to complicate things. The extreme changes are hard on just about everything. The Atlas storm rings corrects. The particular issue I recall is hit on cattle that also had not put on winter coat yet. Their coats got sopping wet with snow melting through hair that was too short. Even healthy animals passed from hypothermia. Event hit in mid October.

Off-topic....but the Atlas storm...wow Googled Atlas Blizzard Relief Video by Doug Wilson I hadn't heard about it, and I don't know why! The video is well-done, a bit graphic for soft hearts, and ....just ....wow

I am hoping that Atlas is my storm to tell the grandchildren about, I hope I never see another one like it, heartbreaking. We were out of electricity for 21 days, we live at the end of the line. I nearly kissed the man when he brought the poles in!

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom