Flashback from my childhood

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MrViskers, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    Hello friends I just wanted to share a funny yet awful incident that happened to me when I was growing up as a kid back in Mauritius. Well one day my mother was making a stew in the yard of my former house, The stew was a mix of vegetables like lentils,peas and potatoes from what i can remember anyways my family also kept chickens the breed of what they were was a magnificent local breed of chicken looked somewhat like brown leghorns, back to the story. one of the hens had hatched a clutch of chicks they just wandered the streets pecking at scraps and would return home at night. the stew was boiling hot and was on a pit, the hen and her babies were foraging the yard and came upon the pot, one of the chicks must have seen the goodies inside and went for a nibble next minute he falls in the pot and suffers a horrid death. we were waiting to have dinner and my mother got the stew without checking as she thought everything was fine and she put it on the dinner table for the family to eat, when we opened the lid of the pot a bad smell came out and we thought maybe the potato was just cooked too much but than when i went to go scoop up some lentils i noticed a hard mass at the bottom and i dug it out than to my surprise it was the corpse of a chick. and i kind of tossed it back into the pot but the feather went everywhere ruining the stew, We all laughed as we planned to have vegetable stew not chicken and vegetable stew, our dinner was ruined we just had noodles that night, we threw the stew out for the hens but we buried the poor baby chick in the yard of course. i never think of stews the same way now. [​IMG]

i hope you had a laugh..

2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh, yuck! Poor little chick. Well, I think if I cooked outside my full grown hens would probably always get into trouble they are so greedy! I have one that would probably jump up onto the barbeque.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    Chickens will be chickens they like to explore but sometimes it will lead to their own demise. [​IMG]

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Uhh, I did not laugh. That is horrible. I am sorry you experienced that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by