Flat panel coop heaters??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gabbyscritters, Oct 21, 2009.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    We are building a insulated addition onto our daughters coop for her bantams. Just wondering what thoughts are on the flat panel heaters for coop use. We live in Wisconsin and it gets very COLD and she wants to keep nice combs and happy birds! The coop is being fully insulated and ventilated for her 15 bantams she is showing. I like the idea od the flat panel heaters ebing fullu enclosed and much less fire risk. Has anybody bought the ones from ebay, don't know what the difference is from the panel heaters on henspa or shopthe coop?

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone just told about that type of heater and they said they cost alot to run, so they only used it when it was very cold. Search and see if it comes up, I am trying to think what topic it was on . . .but it was just yesterday I think.

3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I have one for one of my coops but I dont know how well it works as its not cold enough yet. I did hardwire it into a thermostat so we shall see as the temp keeps dropping. Also I did get one from ebay and my mother already had hers from another store that is more towards poultry. It came in the same exact box mine was just cheaper :d

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I've been looking into a flat panel heater as well. I don't have one as of yet, so all I can share is what I've seen on reviews, mostly off amazon. The 400 watt flat panel heater sits a few inches off the wall, creating convection heat by warming the air between the panel and the wall. The heat rises and new, cold air enters from below. That air gets heated, released and the cycle continues. However, 400 watts is cheap to run, but also only heats up 400 watts worth of warmth. It's not going to be like a standard room heater.

Some folks have mentioned that there are instructions inside the box stating not to use it in a humid location (like a bathroom) or on an exterior wall. Also, reviewers have said that it did a pretty good job heating things up within the first 9 inches, but after that the efficiency was negligible. There were also quite a few reviews stating that the ceramic had cracked after just a little bit of use, creating a potential fire hazard. If I can find one for under $50, I might give it a try, but the reviews seemed questionable to spend too much money on. I'm currently using a 250 watt ceramic bulb hard wired over the roost, which I'm pretty happy with. When the weather gets REALLY cold, like in January, I add an infrared bulb to heat the air a little more than the ceramic does (it heats surfaces more than air). I barely noticed a blip on my electricity bill last winter, which was a pretty harsh year.

5. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    CityChook Look at ebay for them I got mine shipped to Alaska for 29.98. I also looked at reviews and people seemed to expect it offten to heat more sq/ft that it is said to do. Anywhos we shall see [​IMG]

6. YouandI

YouandI New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
  7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So glad my girls stay comfy in the winter without heaters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by