Flattened hens...?

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Just let my three ducks (hens) into the run where they have the small kiddie pool. They all three ran to the pool, jumped in, and laid down prone on the surface of the water - there were no drakes in the area? They were lined up bill to tail one after the other in a circle....flat as pancakes. Very odd? Or what? Wish I had had the video camera with me.
hmm.png
Swimming in a circle....

Perfectly normal loony duck behavior. When you get bored of watching chickens peck the ground, give a clean baby pool to a duck first thing in the morning.
lol.png

Were you nearby? That's usually a ducky mating invitation. Perhaps they were doing it to each other. They often don't know why they do it, they just do behaviors like that when it feels right.

I was about 10 feet away. But they hadn't been out in their pool since late yesterday because I was not home yesterday. The pool normally send them into fits of chattering ecstasy! This was just bizarre. Really wish I had it on film. Honestly, looked like synchronized swimming.

Quote:
I LOVE this explanation!
It's just normal ducky hen behavior, drake or no drake. Don't be surprised if the females start trying to breed each other-normal duck behavior as well.

Back
Top Bottom