Flavoring water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by litlbit59, Aug 27, 2014.

1. litlbit59

litlbit59 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Is there anything I could flavor my hens water with to maybe get them to enjoy it more and in turn get more water in them. Not that there's a problem but it's been pretty hot and more liquids couldn't hurt. I was thinking of diluted low sodium broth. What do you think.

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You shouldn't need to, they will drink what they need, but if you want you can add a small amount of sugar to the water like you do for baby chicks, but not nearly as much...

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Here in Ohio it is SO hot and muggy! I see what you mean, but I don't think I would add anything. I just make sure those water buckets are full, and then when I get home from work at 5:00, I empty them out and fill them up again.

Once when it was a terribly hot summer, I noticed my hens were panting and holding out their wings from their body to help get cooler. That summer, I had saved Cool Whip containers. I used those to make big ice cubes to put in their drinking water. They seemed to like it.

Maybe you could add some electrolites or something if you really think they're suffering from the heat.....

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Another option is to take a container, fill it with water and toss in a handful or two of bird seed, now freeze it and give that to the chickens as a treat...

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Putting ice in the water to cool it can help. Give them watermelon or any melon. If they are eating well, extra sodium really isn't needed. They don't sweat like us to stay cool so don't lose water and salt near as rapidly.

6. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by