1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flax Seed/Linseed Oil

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by phoenixmama, Dec 8, 2009.

1. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Is it necessary to use food-grade when using it on your roosts to keep mites at bay? Or is the kind you'd buy in the hardware store just fine?

2. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I really don't think that the mites really care whether or not the oil is food grade. I think that they all are the same except that food grade is extracted using a more sterile method.
    I would rid them as cheap as possible. Poultry dust works well for mites and fleas as well. Kills two pests in one shot. Your call.

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Have not heard of using flaxseed or linseed oil for treatment of mites, etc. If using it for that then any kind should be ok. Have heard of using food grade DE to prevent infestation, but once infested, may require something else like 10% sevin dust or vermX.

(I have read of using cottage cheese and flaxseed oil as part of a diet (Budwig Diet) to cure many types of cancer. I know a man in Boston area who did just that with what was diagnosed as incurable IGK myeloma bone cancer. 4 years ago he was told to get his affairs in order and today he is cancer-free and his doctor is stumped.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by