1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flax seed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nostalchic, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone feed whole flax seed to their chickens? Anyone know why I should or shouldn't? I have a 50 pound bag of it, long story.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    I too have a fifty pound bag of flax. I used to grind it for my horse which got 1/4 cup a day during winter. I keep a cup of whole seeds in the coop and every once in awhile a bunch gets scattered on the shavings. They enjoy scratching around the shavings of course, and it gives them something to discover. I would have to put flax seed in the search box above to see what others say about it. I'm guessing that it has benefits like sunflower seeds - beneficial fat/oil.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I buy it in 5 lb sacks and mix one sack with 100lbs of layer. Don't figure it's necessary to grind it, that's what gizzards are for.

4. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I feed whole flax to all of our horses and chickens. It has omega-3 benefits for the eggs, excellent for plumage, great for healthy beak and nail growth as well. Flax contains like 30% fat which is very beneficial for our halter horses too. It definitely won't hurt them. I just sprinkle some on top of feed every few days. [​IMG]

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I soak my flax seeds for about 3 hours in twice as much water as seeds. It makes the seeds sort of give off a jelly like substance. You can feed it to them mixed with feed or just like this. Mine love it. I use it for a treat.

If you are going to eat the flax seeds, I'd recommend soaking and then running them in a blender for about 20 seconds or so to break up the seeds. I believe it makes the nutrition a little more bio-abailable. Chickens can grind them in their gizzards, but you can grind them first for them if you want.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I feed mine flax seeds too. It is not their favorite. They seem to have a "dosage" they will eat, like with split peas. If I go over a certain amount in the feed, they just leave it.

Wheat on the other hand, they will inhale no matter how much I give them (within reason).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by