Flea Control in Yard

MGA

Songster
5 Years
Jul 19, 2018
St Augustine FL
I hope I'm posting this in the right place I need to use an insectide for controlling fleas in my yard
Before I had chickens I would use Wisdom and spray the whole yard and it worked wonderful!
But now with the chickens free ranging I would like to find something that works to kill fleas
But doesn't harm the chickens or the dog
My dog is covered with fleas for the first time in well I can't remember
Can someone recommend a pet friendly yard treatment that I can use either with hose end sprayer or comes with a hose end sprayer
I don't want to use diatomaceous earth because it does not last and washes off with the rain
I been reading about Wondercide has anybody used that
Any recommendations would be appreciated Thanks Mike

Last edited:
Use Advantage or Frontline on you dog. Treat every 3 weeks instead of 4 since you have an infestation. Mow grass short. Fleas will not be living/reproducing out in the sun. Fleas will be breeding in shady moist areas where your dog rests. Test with a product that has an insect growth regulator. It should say that prominently on the label, or IGR. If the dog comes indoors you need to treat with an IGR there also. Keep up on treatment or it will get out of control again

I am using Frontline with the dog however my vet recommended Next Guard oral so my dog will be taking that shortly
Do have a name brand with IGR that you recommend for the yard?

Weekly bathing I Dawn is pretty harsh on skin, you should at least be following with conditioner. Drowning the fleas in a bath once a week does nothing to control the breeding flea population. Fleas from the environment can jump right back on your dog. A spot-on flea killer is the best way to kill the local population and efforts must be ongoing or the will just come back.

Weekly bathing I Dawn is pretty harsh on skin, you should at least be following with conditioner. Drowning the fleas in a bath once a week does nothing to control the breeding flea population. Fleas from the environment can jump right back on your dog. A spot-on flea killer is the best way to kill the local population and efforts must be ongoing or the will just come back.

I disagree, ive had dogs with skin problems and its Helped them, not furthure dried them out. The orig dawn is gentle enough they use it on wildlife after an oil spill. Agreed the effort must be ongoing or they will just come back but wkly baths hadnt ever dried out my dogs skin.

I knew someone who had to have a groomer bathe their dog every single week Day because the owner/friend had allergies. That dog didnt suffer for that either, but in that extream case they had specialized shampoo at the groomer.

This isnt "drowning the fleas in a bath" this is a gentle chemical in everday dish soap that kills on contact and then repels fleas for a short time. I tried that spend 40$ on flea killer each month- no way! Too cheap, too broke and dawn works Fine.

The breeding flea population is On the dog also they shouldnt be just living in the grass they Need blood to survive, and cant be without it for too long.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom