Flea Market Encounter with Chick Seller-ARGH!!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Big guy in overalls, baseball cap, smoking cigarette on the back of his truck bed has several of boxes of chicks sat out on the lawn on a chilly morning. He has rabbits, too. Now, I hoped NOT to see this type of thing this weekend, but heck, I guess it's par for the course, right? Anyway, I go over to see what breed chicks he is selling. First I say, it's a little chilly for chicks. They need some warmth. OH, I have to disagree with you there, he says.
th.gif
Then, I see some that look like Welsummers, but you know several look like that, so I ask what breed. He tells me Partridge Rocks, then he proceeds to tell me Golden Comets, Buff Orps, and Doms. Well, I look in the box and see a boatload of single combs, so I say, nope you have Barred Rocks. Single combs are Barred Rocks and rose combs are Doms. No, it's all what type of comb the rooster has, he says,(DUH!) and you can tell he's ticked that the little lady is questioning him at all. Well, then I get a lecture about how he's been raising chickens for 25 years and gets these direct from the hatchery, blah, blah, blah. Cant reason with the man. THEN, I ask if he has ever heard of Blue Orpingtons. Oh, yeah, he has lots of those, too. (like heck he does, the liar!) AND, get this....he gets his chicks all the way from ENGLAND!
lau.gif
Now, I already know the man is a BIG FAT LIAR and a braggart, but that takes the cake, and I just walk away shaking my head.
he.gif

Last edited:
What is wrong with you???? You didn't buy them all??? Those are some incredibly rare chicks he has right there. And the ones from England, did you tell him you'd take them all no matter the cost?

GRRRRRRR people like that make me so mad. He's just hoping to make a quick buck at Easter and tell some BS to make more $ to people who don't know any better.

He may have been raising chickens for 25 years but that doesn't stop him from being ignorant. Poor babies!

Wow a hatchery in england, huh? They must have super fast shipping to get them here before Easter.

And you know how common Blue Orps are, don't ya Speckled
lau.gif

The problem is that they were already chilled enough to die over the next few days, probably. There were so many, no way I could save them. Ignorant jerk. Little did he know that I have more experience with chickens than he does, all the way back to my childhood, so I guess that gives me almost TWICE as many years of chicken experience as he has. That is the type of person who will sell you whatever you want, just it wont really be the breed you ask for, just to take your money. Oh, yeah, it's a Blue Orpington, sure! Never mind the feathered legs, that's just a fluke, LOL.
barnie.gif
he.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

So mad hearing this - those poor babies. It's cruelty to subject them to temps that are too cold. I don't know if anything would come of it, but I'd call the Humane Society (or similar) to see what they say. I wish I was in proximity to you to help rescue them all right this minute! And then tell him if he is ever seen doing this again, he will be reported to animal welfare orgs, and the newspapers, not necessarily in that order! ERG. What a jerk.
JJ

What a clown...gotta love people like that.
roll.png
You should print out a chick care sheet from here and take it to him to read..if he can read.
lau.gif

Jody

Back
Top Bottom