Fleas on my chicken

kristiepavelka

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
[/IMG]

Well here she is.... I have no idea on how to get them off of her without picking them off one by one. I have put down DE all over her coop, in her bath box, around coop and nesting box. Even on her. Vet didn't have any other advice bedsides DE. I'm fixing to introduce my 6 new chickadees to the coop but don't want to until I get this problem under control.

[/URL]

Well here she is.... I have no idea on how to get them off of her without picking them off one by one. I have put down DE all over her coop, in her bath box, around coop and nesting box. Even on her. Vet didn't have any other advice bedsides DE. I'm fixing to introduce my 6 new chickadees to the coop but don't want to until I get this problem under control.
DE is ineffective and dangerouse to breath IMHO!

Permethrin 10% is a good and very effective product that is safe to use. It is a synthetic version of pyrethrins or a crysanthimum extract. If you have $ Elector PSP is also a good product that I believe is organic if that's important to you.

Ive always used DE in small doses around all my animals because its 100% natural and it works for me. But you do have to be really careful not to put too much out. The dust can litterally smother your chickens and cause serious health problems for you, but used correctly it should hurt either of you.

Ive always used DE in small doses around all my animals because its 100% natural and it works for me. But you do have to be really careful not to put too much out. The dust can litterally smother your chickens and cause serious health problems for you, but used correctly it should hurt either of you.
How do you know it works? Maybe you just don't have a problem in the first place... I mean this sincerely, not ugly.
smile.png

DE is said to work by creating microscopic cuts that dehydrate said pest. Even if the body self repairs doesn't mean it should have the added barage of microcuts to the eyes sinuses and lungs.

By the way... even arsinic, lead, and dog poo
sickbyc.gif
are 100% natural, doesn't mean they are safe.
old.gif

ETA: Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Even though I disagree with you, we are all friends here... and sharing our personal experiences. Thank you for sharing yours!
highfive.gif

Last edited:
No offense but how do you know it doesnt? I know it works from using it with an infestation after adopting a hen who had that problem, infecting the rest of my flock. Most of the other chicken owners I know use it with success. I dont care for chemicals of any kind as I believe they do more harm than good. I believe that its better to go natural than man made anytime. But you can do what you like just as I can do what I think is best. I'm simply telling the OP what works for me. In the end its up to them to decide whats best for them.
Thanks fot the welcome! Im excited about being here!

We use a mix of DE, BARN Lime, and 7 dust. It works well and keeps a variety of creepies off our flock.... mix is as follows....... 4 cups of DE, 2 cups of BARN Lime, 2 Tablespoons of 7 Dust. Keep in mind that this needs to be hand mixed and can be messy. Aside from the fact the the "mixee" should not breath in the DE directly. Also I've capitalized "BARN" in the barn lime. This is to ensure you are using BARN Lime. Regular "garden type" lime is too strong for their skin. Most if not all farm stores carry BARN Lime. We are in Florida (pest capital of the world) and our flock (35 strong) have no "bug" or pest issues. We also clean all areas (especially bedding/laying) weekly. One last help... Try using pine shavings in the layer box and coup area also, the pine keeps many pests at bay.

Back
Top Bottom