Fleas

FreckledFarmer

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 31, 2012
I saw the "chicken flea" thread but I have a question about regular cat fleas. In VA we had a very mild winter and this year the fleas have been horrrrrrrrrible. It has been all I can do to keep them out of the house. I have literally done every natural thing I could (we have a 1.5 month old baby and refuse to use chemicals around the kids)... Anyways, I have a group of baby chicks coming next week (my first experience with chickens). I have gotten rid of most of the fleas in the house (fingers crossed that they will be totally gone before the chickens come) but our little farm is infested with them. They jump on you as you walk through the grass. The only animals we have right now are our 2 dogs and 1 cat. We have put benifical nematodes outside hoping to help with the infestation but I can't tell if it is helping. We are planning on moving the chickens outside between 2-3 weeks since the weather is warm here already, we have a very well built coop. I am afraid the fleas are going to attack the chickens. Do cat fleas attack chickens? If yes, how do I keep this from happening?

Back
Top Bottom