flies and bad odors in the runs...what to do???

Well, I am back from the co-op;thanks for all your help. The co-op has several big bags of DE ordered and it will either be here sometime tomorrow or on Tuesday. They had a couple of small 6 lb bags but it was not the food grade stuff, just my luck. The big bags are $39.99 each and supposed to be food grade. We'll see...

I checked on a load of sand, a big dump truck will hold 22 tons full and is only $675.00!!! I know I won't need THAT much, but even 10 tons of the stuff would be about $320.00.
th.gif
Ehwww!!

So, I did manage to come home with 2 50 lb bags of the ag lime to sprinkle out in their runs. I am still not sure about the sand...I have to discuss THAT with my DH. I have a pretty large area to cover when I consider all the pens and runs outside for my brood and if I get sand, I would need more than just a bucket or two.

Anyone have any other ideas?
hu.gif

Quote:
You might be able to just get a pickup truck load at the hardware store. Ours keeps sand, mulch, fill dirt and such, and you can get one scoop or two (1/2 ton or ton). That shouldn't cost more than $20. Does your dh have a truck?

The big bags are $39.99 each and supposed to be food grade. We'll see...

How many lbs. in a bag? I think the bag I bought was 50 lbs. and I paid less than $10. Called - Red Lake, I think - out of Canada - it's food grade. There is another one - PermaGuard food grade - can order on line- the more you order, the cheaper it is.

Edited to correct $50 to 50 lbs. Sorry, folks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea about the hardware store;we do have a flat bed ton truck that we use for hauling livestock, the cattle wagon is what I call it! My husband works for a construction company and he might be able to get me a GREAT deal on sand, maybe even better than great, maybe even for FREE! I hadn't even thought of that until you brought up having a truck...I will definitely converse with dear hubbie as soon as he gets home this evening!
ya.gif

As for the size of the "big bags" of DE, I am thinking he said it was like maybe a 50# bag but I am not sure. The co-op manager told me that he has only just recently had folks inquiring about DE and so I guess now they will stock it in a limited supply. I know that I have to make sure that it is food grade. I could appreciate ordering in online if that is my only option-doesn't it cost a lot to ship that stuff? I've been told that a little of it goes a long way.

Quote:
Yes, a 50lb. bag goes a very long way. I probably only use a cup or a little less at a time...1 c. for the henhouse under the shavings, and 1 c. spread on their pecking pen floor- it's only 8x8' and I just barely rake it in to about an inch down into the soil.

Thank you, CarlyB57 for the info-at least I will know how to use the DE once I am able to get some! I really do love BYC members; you are all so very helpful and generous to take the time to help someone out!
big_smile.png

I would dig the lime in, but thats just me
smile.png

and then top dress it with whatever you decide on.

Quote:
Thanks for telling me that; I was just gonna sort of sprinkle in on top before we do the rest. Do you mean really dig it in pretty deep or just rake it lightly into the soil? My husband will be helping me to do it tomorrow evening. I have 2 large outside runs and 3 smaller outside runs that we are working on.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the info, if what the co-op has shipped in is not the food grade DE, then I may have to go that route.
wee.gif
: (that is me running all over the place like silly trying to find this stuff!)

Back
Top Bottom